Object smoothing

Started by Mohawk20, February 07, 2007, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Is it possible to creata a finction that can smooth an object?

I am currently working with some wave shaped objects, which are not really smooth. When I apply the water shader to it, the reflections are calculated for every face. The result is not a verry snooth reflection, with lines showing where one face ends and the next begins.

It would be nice to hav a feature somwhat like the slope constraint feature, where you can set the angle between two adjacent faces. If that angle is below a certain value, the faces are smoothed, resulting in a nice smooth curved reflection (Which would take twice as long to render offcourse....)

Opposite to that, is it currently possible to apply a powerfractal to an object which actually makes it rougher? I have tried it, but with no results...
Howgh!

3DGuy

It's not possible with the current version of TG.

Mohawk20

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 07, 2007, 02:17:51 PM
It's not possible with the current version of TG.

Are you talking about the smoothing function or the powerfractal roughness? ;)
Howgh!

old_blaggard

Smoothing.  You should just be able to apply a power fractal to a multi shader, just as you would an image.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mohawk20

Well, sure the smoothing is currently not possible, it was more a feature request...

As to the powerfractal... When applying a water shader to an object, parts go missing and turm black. I figured those spots are where the wave should displace downward. That's why I asked.

I will try again though...

But what do you guys think, would the smoothing function be a good idea?
Howgh!

3DGuy

If I remember correctly, Oshyan said object smoothing will be included in the future. You can apply a fractal to the surface, but I think it's a bit flaky. When I tried it the faces of my object became detached seperate entities.

Lucio

That's right, normal smoothing is not yet implemented. It will come in future versions

Oshyan

Object smoothing will be implemented in the future. You can displace objects currently but anything beyond very small displacement values will usually cause models to break apart. This will be addressed as much as possible in the future.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Thanks for that info Oshyan... That's what I wanted to know.
Howgh!