Background image

Started by Taltan, February 07, 2007, 02:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taltan

Hi

I was testing out starfield in TGTP by using a starfield image and stick it on the background node. However, I decided that the stars were boring and I procured a much more advanced starfield image with different sized stars and shapes. But the image is inrecognizable when I apply it to the background. My initial though was that the image somehow got compresses to fit in the background sphere, so I increased the radius of the sphere, but to no avail. So, how can I use a more detailed image?

rcallicotte

How are you creating your background?  Are you using the Default Shader?

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Taltan

I am indeed using the default shader. I applied the image to the Colour image and Luminosity image (as stated in the starfield tutorial).

rcallicotte

Did you turn the Luminosity to 10?

Taltan

Yes, and diffuse to 1. But that is not the problem. Look at the attached image. It shows my original picture on the left and you can see how it turns out when rendered. The origianl picture is 1366x1035 if that is of any importance.

rcallicotte

I've seen this.  It has to do with either your settings (check all of them) in your Default Shader or how you've linked the Default Shader into where the Background Shader once was.

I know this works with as large as 1600X1200, since I've done it.

Will

way it your quality at?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Taltan

I am rendering with 0.4 quality.
I connected the Default Shader node into Surface Shader in the internal network of the Background node. All the default shader settings are equal to that of the starfield example.

Will

you may want to try increacing your quality, when I do orbital shots I use at least 1.

Regards,

Will

Taltan

Increasing the quality did not do any good. Also, I am not doing orbital render. The camera is at ground level.

Will

hmm well, it it just this image? I had the same problum a while back with  piture of a nebula im trying to remember how I fixed it.

Regards,

Will

Taltan

No, not just this image. It seems that the problem is persistant with detailed images. Since I have no problem with getting a good result with a simple starfield image. If you are able to remember I would really appreciate it :)

Will

could you post the image file so I could play around with it please?
Regards,

Will

Will

thanks I get on it now.

Regards,

Will