DreamScene?

Started by BPauba, December 21, 2006, 08:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeanoD

Outside of the Terragen comunity (Where I do most of my work) allot of people do quite a few picture replications.. and I would certainly call every single one of them artists.. Just because you are copying somthing that has already been done does not mean you cannot put your own artistic influence into the image. Also.. what is the difference between trying to remake a real place.. and trying to remake a real place from the point of view and time that a photo was taken..  If you build somthing that actualy exists you almost always use photo reference if you cant actualy look at it with your own eyes every few seconds.

Thinking about how it could be done..

Either we all pick a photo that everybody has to try and base there scene off..  I quite like this idea.. It means that maybe 50 or so people will take totaly different aproaches to the same task. Looking at other peoples work.. and seeing how they tackled somthing that you have just done is always very interesing and a good way of learning new techniques that you had not thought of.

Or Everybody does there own favorite photo and tries to copy it as much as possable.. and when they post the image you post the real image with it for comparison.

Just my 2 cents... Sorry for waffling on.
' Dont Worry.. i crash better than anybody i know '

Mel Gibson
Air America
Anything, Anywhere, Anytime.

BPauba

I am loving this idea. How many people are interested in this sort of study/practice method?

FrankThomas

Only problem with working from a photo is that you won't be able to manipulate the terrain at the moment - a better idea might be to post a DEM of an area and let people loose on that

twistednoodle

Quote from: buchvecny on December 22, 2006, 11:01:58 PM
well i honestly think its STUPID to recreate images. It doesnt require anything but program knowledge. Problem of today CG industry is that there are too many craftsmans and only few artists. So i think its not good idea.

I have often thought a photo replication challenge would be great - calling it stupid is just an opinion but I do believe there are other ways saying you're not thrilled about the idea, or its something you're not interested in .... (imho).  I like the idea because I don't always have a project in mind and this is just another way of learning and getting inspired.  Perhaps the winners can provide the .tgd or give us some idea how they made the piccy? 
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

old_blaggard

I've tried photo replication in a couple of my scenes, and it's pretty difficult.  Even if those who recreate photos are only "craftsmen" as buchvecny said, they are very skilled ones.  I probably wouldn't have the time for this myself, but it sounds like a good idea.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

bigben

Volker Harun

Hi,

I would definitly go for this scene:

;D ;D ;D Volker Harun

Hannes

Nice pic, btw Volker, can you tell me where this is on Crete? I have been there three times now, and this looks rather familiar to me. Is this maybe the road to a village called Mochos?

Hannes

old_blaggard

Great photo!  I've got a bunch of nice ones from my trip to Greece, but unfortunately they're not digitized.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Volker Harun

Hi Hannes,
I really cannot tell where exactly it was. I was only for 2 days on crete last year. It was on the way from Iraklion southwards to Kastri on the highlands. On the right hand side of the road were a mass of olive trees.
In the image, where the road goes off left - it makes a strong right turn and you can see the road as a horizontal line continue to the right.
When I am right there was a village coming then.

Maybe the attached image, which shows a wider range might help you  ??? 8) 8)

Volker

Angealus

:) My 2 coppers.....

Heck Yeah 'm up for it. Got 10 days vacation next week and nothing better to do cept watch stargate and learn TG2!!!!

sonshine777

Quote from: buchvecny on December 22, 2006, 11:01:58 PM
well i honestly think its STUPID to recreate images. It doesnt require anything but program knowledge. Problem of today CG industry is that there are too many craftsmans and only few artists. So i think its not good idea.

A craftsman is a person who can take people to a place they have never been and make them believe it is real. An artist is someone who wants to do their own thing and expects everyone to like the "art" they have created. Sorry to be blunt but I like realistic more than surrealistic.

I think this would be a great contest. :)

rcallicotte

Please see that this is an old argument, but that it could be a good contest for those interested.

An artist - someone who creates something with their abilities that is beautiful.
A craftsman - a skilled artist who is likely skilled enough to make money at being an artist.

To think of a craftsman as superior could mean that your concept in life is you need to make money.  Not necessarily a stinky idea.   :o
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Hannes

Thank you, Volker. I think, it's not where I thought it would be, but i like it anyway!

Hannes