trees

Started by foxmacbeagh, February 07, 2007, 10:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxmacbeagh

i finally got the trees to work ...anybody know how the positioning system works? It took awhile to get it to work right..I used the camera position to set my start point for the trees..Is there a easier way?

king_tiger_666

you can enter x, z coordinates in to move a population of trees if thats what you mean...
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

old_blaggard

Overall this is a very nice render.  Your water looks especially realistic, and I like the sky.  It gives me a very serene feel.  However, there is a bit of graininess around the trees - try increasing your atmospheric samples to get rid of it.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Tangled-Universe

In the TGO-reader there's an option called "translate". As being said already, you can enter the coordinates of boundary box there.

A way of positioning the plane which works quite nice for me is to visualise the position where you want te population to be.
Copy the camera-coordinates into the translate box of the tgo-reader, except for the y-value (height).
The center of the boundary box is right beneath your camera now.
Now move camera up or let it face down and zoom out.
In the render preview you can already see the boundary box of the tgo-reader. Double click on it and move it to your desired position.
Then press "view camera" (NOT set camera!) and you're back to your previous pov. Now it takes just little tweaking to get the desired result.
Don't forget to check "sit on terrain" in the TGO-reader settings.

As I've said, this is a way which works for me, so this could be a step up for you. Hope it will help.

Martin

foxmacbeagh

All right I get that but is there a "grid" to it all that is easily understandable? ..thats my question..

king_tiger_666

by default the box/grid is 10000x10000 eg 10kmx10km if you use the cursor to go over the preview box it will give you out co-ordinates .. x y z  y being height...

foxmacbeagh

Thank you that helps me make some sense of it...but I would still like to see a grid if you will..I've tried putting numbers in following a grid but it doesn't seem to make sense..like I've said I'm an artist ..not a programer..but I wondered if the location the preview box gave was right ...so I guess now I know..and as G.I. Joe says "knowing is half the battle" so off I go..thank you all..

fox

king_tiger_666

yeah I could see how a grid e.g. break it down into 1km squares etc would help but I don't think this is part of terragen 2 as of yet... maybe it will be added at a later date when tg2 is in a final release...

It might help to change the preview window into a plan form looking directly down on the terrain when positioning your population... Unless you already do that

MooseDog

Quote from: foxmacbeagh on February 08, 2007, 03:48:18 AM
Thank you that helps me make some sense of it...but I would still like to see a grid if you will..I've tried putting numbers in following a grid but it doesn't seem to make sense..like I've said I'm an artist ..not a programer..but I wondered if the location the preview box gave was right ...so I guess now I know..and as G.I. Joe says "knowing is half the battle" so off I go..thank you all..

fox

that's just a wonderful render.  thx for sharing that work.

i would tend to agree that at the moment, moving around and examining a scene, transforming and manipulating objects, etc, is quite un-intuitive, sadly to the point of being un-friendly.

granted, the intended market for tg2 is more capable than a mass market, but ntl, employers aren't going to pay employees to bang their heads against a wall while accomplishing very little. 

speed, ease of use, adapability will generate multi-seat licenses.  there's 2cents for ya! ;D

sonshine777

Quote from: MooseDog on February 10, 2007, 09:00:47 AM
Quote from: foxmacbeagh on February 08, 2007, 03:48:18 AM

fox

that's just a wonderful render.  thx for sharing that work.

i would tend to agree that at the moment, moving around and examining a scene, transforming and manipulating objects, etc, is quite un-intuitive, sadly to the point of being un-friendly.

granted, the intended market for tg2 is more capable than a mass market, but ntl, employers aren't going to pay employees to bang their heads against a wall while accomplishing very little. 

speed, ease of use, adapability will generate multi-seat licenses.  there's 2cents for ya! ;D

The "tech preview" means just that "tech preview" I am sure that the final commercial version will be much more "user" friendly. Actually I have found the interface to be quite easy to use considering that this is a tech preview.

MooseDog

Quote from: sonshine777 on February 12, 2007, 11:25:23 AM
.....I am sure that the final commercial version will be much more "user" friendly.

quoting for agreement.  beta testing is supposed to iron out exactly such issues (among lots  ;D).  i'm honestly hoping your certainty pans out.

Dark Fire

Quote from: MooseDog on February 12, 2007, 11:57:59 AM
...beta testing is supposed to iron out exactly such issues (among lots  ;D)...
As far as I am aware, T2TP is not even at the TG2 beta level yet (otherwise it would be called that). The last one or two updates before the final version of TG2 is released will be more like TG2 beta releases. Oshyan has said he hopes TG2 will contain quite a few features suggested on these forums - true beta versions of TG2 would contain all of these features and would only be used to iron out bugs in them...