any Help with fake stones/strata/warp/redirect

Started by doneydonydone, February 08, 2007, 02:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doneydonydone

hey guys n gals

i'm hoping this has already been covered and that someone can help me quick cos its driving me crazy

i am still havin trouble limiting fake stones to certain parts of the terrain -- any help??/

i am also guessing it will be the same for limiting strata and outcrops/warp and redirect functions - am i right???

i am also guessing that a lot of other people will be happy to hear an exact answer to these Q's

thanks in advance!!!!

dhavalmistry

Altitude constraints or slope constraints maybe...posting a screenshot would help a lot....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

3DGuy

If you look here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=133.msg5962#msg5962
I posted an example there that shows one way to restrict the strata shader to the steeper slopes.

buzzzzz

This setup has been working for me. Simple but it works :)

mr-miley

Best solution I found (after posing this question twice) was to connect the fake stone shader to a surface layer and use the surface layers distribution settings, NOT a distribution shader. You dont gget a problem using a distribution shader if your stones are the same colour as the ground they are resting on. If they are a different color, the ground colour will partly cover the stones using a distribution shaders distribution, but not if you attach the stone shader to a surface layer.

See this thread to see if it helps (it certainly helped me!) http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=674.0

Miley
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

MeltingIce

Quote from: mr-miley on February 08, 2007, 07:33:39 PM
Best solution I found (after posing this question twice) was to connect the fake stone shader to a surface layer and use the surface layers distribution settings, NOT a distribution shader.

Same here.  Using a distribution shader instead of a surface layer will begin to limit the texture on the fake rocks too, which is bad looking.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

buzzzzz

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 08, 2007, 11:03:02 PM
Best solution I found (after posing this question twice) was to connect the fake stone shader to a surface layer and use the surface layers distribution settings, NOT a distribution shader.

Same here.  Using a distribution shader instead of a surface layer will begin to limit the texture on the fake rocks too, which is bad looking.

I guess I've been lucky so far, I will give your way a try and see. Thanks you two.

Tangled-Universe

Best solution I found (after posing this question twice) was to connect the fake stone shader to a surface layer and use the surface layers distribution settings, NOT a distribution shader. You dont gget a problem using a distribution shader if your stones are the same colour as the ground they are resting on. If they are a different color, the ground colour will partly cover the stones using a distribution shaders distribution, but not if you attach the stone shader to a surface layer.

See this thread to see if it helps (it certainly helped me!) http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=674.0

Miley

As you said a distribution shader is suitable for altitude or slope constraints, but it gives problems with colours. As far as I know you can switch off "apply high colour". You'll still keep your constraints.

Adding a fake stone shader as a child-layer of a (constrained) surface layer would also work.

Martin

doneydonydone

thanks everyone -- now i will create a test image and see how it goes!!!

doneydonydone

i actually forgot to mention what was driving me crazy - and it is mentioned in the other link

when i use a surface layer and limit slope values the rocks are covered with the same surface colour and they almost look covered in sand!!

the disrobution layerworks best for me

Thanks jay -- i will have to go have a look at your website v.v. soon!!

moodflow

Actually, the best way to do it is to plug the fake stones shader into the child input of a surface layer.  That way, everything is controlled by the surface layer, and there will be no surprises.  You can then control altitude and slope constraints with ease. 

As for the rocks having a sand color, keep in mind, the surface layer has a color function itself and is likely applying itself over the stones.  Just uncheck the use color box and its all set.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music