The Undiscovered Country ~ Cliff and Canyon Setup TGD

Started by cyphyr, September 04, 2009, 12:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Here's the setup for The Undiscovered Country ~ Cliff and canyon setup, enjoy.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

aymenk2003

wonderful strata ...
btw I didn't understand any of these nodes...
thanks for sharing ...

NKAID...
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

Henry Blewer

Hi Richard,
I took a look at your set up. Some of your smallest scales were larger than the lead in scale. So I changed these settings and hit random on a couple power fractals. I am rendering a small 'finished' image now, and I will post the image and the tgd file here, if you do not mind. Thanks for sharing this. I liked the look of the strata when I did a quick 800 x 600 render.

I only changed the Terrain Tabs nodes. I left the color/shader section alone.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Henry Blewer

Here's my altered tgd.

littlecannon

Wow Richard, you're spoiling us with your generosity. Thanks very much, I'm sure to learn something here.
Cheers, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Seth

Why the 2 "compute terrain" nodes following each others, just before your shaders, are here for ?
I think it's useless and adds a lot of render time. But I maybe wrong so I suggest you to try with only one of them and check the difference between the 2 renders...

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Quote from: Seth on September 04, 2009, 11:35:01 AM
Why the 2 "compute terrain" nodes following each others, just before your shaders, are here for ?
I think it's useless and adds a lot of render time. But I maybe wrong so I suggest you to try with only one of them and check the difference between the 2 renders...
Well spotted
Unfortunately it is necessary :( I think ?? (it was 5am lol)
The first node has smooth surface enabled and the second dose not. This removed some (but not all) of the holes and strangeness in the canyon walls. Extreme displacements seem to require extreme work arounds ...
Please see if you can get some better results and post your solution back here :)

Quote from: njeneb on September 04, 2009, 01:49:44 AM
Some of your smallest scales were larger than the lead in scale.
This seems to happen quite by accident, I was aiming to match the"smallest" and "lead in" scales , 1:1 or 10:10 etc giving an octave of 1. Terragen seems to not like this too much and tries to modify the numbers a little. I'm not too sure it makes that much difference. I wanted a displacement with an octave of 1 as this would still provide some variety but will avoid sudden changes in amplitude causing "exploding" errors in the image ...

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

I might try if i can get some free time to do some testing.
but i am rendering right now...
i may be able to do some test renders tomorrow night (maybe).

Henry Blewer

When I changed the lead in scales, this seems to have fixed the exploding episodes. The rest seems to work fine.

pfrancke

Cyphyr, thanks.  I've got two cuts of TG open.  Your tgd is open in one.  In the other, I'm rebuilding it a step at a time and playing with values as I go, and I'm learning a lot.  I appreciate very much your sharing!!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on September 04, 2009, 12:37:38 PM
Quote from: Seth on September 04, 2009, 11:35:01 AM
Well spotted
Unfortunately it is necessary :( I think ?? (it was 5am lol)
The first node has smooth surface enabled and the second dose not. This removed some (but not all) of the holes and strangeness in the canyon walls. Extreme displacements seem to require extreme work arounds ...
Please see if you can get some better results and post your solution back here :)

I think it isn't necessary. You either use smooth normals with a small patch size or don't use smooth normals with a bigger patch size. It will require a bit of fiddling, but it shouldn't be necessary I think.

Great work on setting this up by the way. It's nicely organized and easily understandable.

Cheers,
Martin

RichTwo

From one Richard to another -

Genius!  Lots of planning went into this, I can tell.  Thanks so much for sharing!
They're all wasted!

gepisar

HI! I grant this post is OLD!!
I was learning from it - and attempted to add in a water layer and to make it look nice, i wanted to add a thin green layer just about the water surface to look like algae or something. But, when i added shaders, limited the height (+/- 2m from the water surface) I found that the green layer actually tracked the layer warps. Rather than the altitude limits being absolute, they seemed to follow the warps.

I wondered, in this set up, how i might apply a narrow band shader that was effectively flat.
Churz!