problem recreating TG09 sun in TG2

Started by shadowphile, September 05, 2009, 11:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowphile

I liked this sun I had in TG09 (see image), where the flare blends evenly into the sun and falls off rather sharply, with some leftover ambient fall off.  It might not be accurate but I think it has great perceptual reality.

I can't recreate it in TG2.  The only tool to add the halo is the atmosphere shader, with power and intensity.  That doesn't work right and I have to put extremely large numbers to even get close to the look.
Otherwise, the sun just looks like a sharp disk.
I've played with many other settings without results.
Anybody help me out?
thanks

Henry Blewer

Matrix did some T2 renders a few months ago. The sun had image maps applied, looked very cool. (I do not want to be Paris Hilton, rich yes, but the h_ word no) You might put a camera in front of the sun. Then use a distance shader on a cloud layer so the cloud is tight in front of the sun. Use a low density on the cloud. I'm not sure this is what you a wanting, but it could be a neat effect.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

I agree that it is not the same but after only 2 minutes of tweaking, i get this...
so I really don't think it should be too hard to reproduce your TG0.9 sun...
and I don't see what's wrong about "extreme" values... they are just numbers... don't be afraid of them ;)

Tangled-Universe

I must admit I also spent about half an hour on this but couldn't achieve the same effect. Well, a little, but not like this.
I'm happy you posted this, otherwise he'd have to play with my crappy suggestion :)

I think you should make a sticky topic with the title "values are just numbers" ;D

Martin

choronr

Quote from: Seth on September 06, 2009, 01:11:08 PM
I agree that it is not the same but after only 2 minutes of tweaking, i get this...
so I really don't think it should be too hard to reproduce your TG0.9 sun...
and I don't see what's wrong about "extreme" values... they are just numbers... don't be afraid of them ;)
Thanks Seth, this is a valuable piece of information.

Seth

just keep me in touch with your advancement on getting closer to your TG 0.9 sun. :)

@Martin : lol !  ;D

neuspadrin

Well, with terragen you either

a) can use super high numbers just go for it and see what happens
b) dont use them on render quality settings.. usualy high = VERY VERY high.  Don't bump up "Quality" to 100 ;) good luck with that...

shadowphile

thanks for the inputs folks.
Seth, your result was the about the type of sun I was getting, but the TG09 has a harder edge that I kept trying to sharpen by increasing the glow power and compensating with lower intensities.  I was down to 1e-11 intensity and powers of 10.  I started getting a donut effect and the sun disk edge was still discrete.  Also couldn't pull in the glow edge beyond a certain point, just wouldn't get any smaller.
I was concerned with the extreme numbers because if I have to use extreme measures to do something supposedly simple (like in TG09), then maybe I'm using the wrong tool...   :o

Turns out my biggest problem was the disk size.  I had a 6 deg disk in TG09, had to drop it to 1.5 in TG2.  For some reason too large a disk can't blend well with the atmo halo.
I still need to add that fainter streaming asymmetric glow but this is a good start. (probably a low-altitude effect)
I should go back to TG09 and see exactly what it does there.
For the curious:
sun strength = 6
haze density = .08
bluesky density = .47
haze glow amount = 1e-6
haze glow power = 6
bluesky glow amount = .015
bluesky glow power = .75
enviro light = .19

Seth

I guess TG 0.9 was more far from real atmosphere than TG2 is... that's why you may have some problem to reproduce something absolutely unreal with it.

Matt

TG Classic rendered a halo/corona around the sun, in addition to the glow in the atmosphere. TG2 doesn't do that because it's not particularly realistic, but you can create a similar effect by using a second atmosphere with different settings to produce just the tight glow around the sun. The wider "streaming" glow comes from the default atmosphere.

Start with a default atmosphere. Reduce camera exposure to 0.25 (or -2 EV on the slider in the preview). Then paste in the following and connect it in series with your default atmosphere.

<terragen_clip>
<planet_atmosphere
name = "Tight sun glow"
gui_use_node_pos = "1"
gui_node_pos = "0 180 0"
gui_group = ""
enable = "1"
input_node = "Atmosphere 01"
gui_use_preview_patch_size = "0"
gui_preview_patch_size = "1000 1000"
enable_primary = "1"
enable_secondary = "0"
centre = "0 -6378000 0"
radius = "6378000"
seed = "0"
haze_density = "0.100193"
haze_horizon_colour = "0.349999994 0.349999994 0.349999994"
bluesky_density = "0"
bluesky_horizon_colour = "0.224999994 0.3585940003 0.4499999881"
bluesky_additive = "0"
bluesky_additive_colour = "0.05000000075 0.270938009 1"
redsky_decay = "0"
haze_exp_height = "3000"
bluesky_exp_height = "8000"
ceiling_adjust = "7"
ceiling = "56000"
floor = "-16000"
haze_glow_amount = "1"
haze_glow_power = "3"
bluesky_glow_amount = "0"
bluesky_glow_power = "0"
enviro_light = "0.5"
enviro_light_tint = "1 1 1"
ambient = "0 0 0"
fake_dark_power = "0"
fake_dark_sharpness = "10"
bluesky_density_colour = "0.1000000015 0.3400000036 1"
redsky_decay_colour = "0.9048374295 0.7117702961 0.3678794503"
improved_glow_model = "1"
number_of_samples = "16"
adjust_to_distance = "1"
sample_jitter = "1"
enable_ray_traced_shadows = "0"
>
</planet_atmosphere>
</terragen_clip>

I couldn't match the v0.9 image as closely as I'd like because you can't use very high glow powers without introducing artefacts. But it's not bad.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

aymenk2003

???  ::)   :D   ;D
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

shadowphile

thanks Matt, I will give it a try, after I finish the current (loooong) render.
I wouldn't have recognized what you were coding except I just happened to dig into a TGD file to fix a problem with Neon22's batch file.  I know just where to paste this.

Matt

Just in case you didn't know, you can paste this into the node network in the GUI (it's just a node copy/paste clip). No need to edit the .tgd file.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

shadowphile

ah, good to know.  You mean paste into a text file with a .tgc extension and then importing it, right?  Can't see a more direct way to paste directly into the GUI.

FrankB

just click into the node network view once and then ctrl+v