First real render

Started by Angealus, February 08, 2007, 08:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

Quote from: Oshyan on February 13, 2007, 11:22:44 PM
To fix the graininess of the sky increase atmosphere samples - 64 should be enough, although 128 may be necessary. I would not go above that.

- Oshyan
I always stick to at least 64 to avoid wasting renders - T2TP seems to be very vulnerable to graniness...

Oshyan

It's true that there is a tendency toward noise, however I often use 32 or even 24 for final renders, at least with simpler atmospheres. It's when you're using rays or have dramatically lit/shadowed areas that you need more. Knowing when to increase detail in certain areas is key to keeping render times reasonable.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

Quote from: Oshyan on February 14, 2007, 04:36:11 PM
...simpler atmospheres.
Hehe. I've only made three projects with T2TP so far - as a consequence, my atmospheres are immensely complicated.

Quote from: Oshyan on February 14, 2007, 04:36:11 PM
Knowing when to increase detail in certain areas is key to keeping render times reasonable.

- Oshyan
Perhaps somebody could create a tool that could give you a rough estimate of the settings you should need for a particular render...

Oshyan

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 14, 2007, 04:42:46 PM
Perhaps somebody could create a tool that could give you a rough estimate of the settings you should need for a particular render...

To some degree this is already implemented, at least for certain settings. The cloud sample settings are linked to the Quality slider for example. A quality of 1 is generally aimed to create noise-free results in average situations. Remember of course that atmosphere samples also impact noise in the sky so if you still get noise with detail 1 in the clouds you may instead need to increase atmosphere samples. Hopefully a similar quality slider can be implemented for the atmosphere. Unfortunately I don't think it will be possible to carry this over to some other settings like GI quality, but we'll definitely be doing all we can to demystify the detail settings.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

Quote from: Oshyan on February 14, 2007, 05:02:05 PM
Hopefully a similar quality slider can be implemented for the atmosphere. Unfortunately I don't think it will be possible to carry this over to some other settings like GI quality, but we'll definitely be doing all we can to demystify the detail settings.

- Oshyan
Once TG2 is finished it is going to be one amazing piece of software. Good luck with implementing those sliders!

Will

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 14, 2007, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on February 14, 2007, 05:02:05 PM
Hopefully a similar quality slider can be implemented for the atmosphere. Unfortunately I don't think it will be possible to carry this over to some other settings like GI quality, but we'll definitely be doing all we can to demystify the detail settings.

- Oshyan
Once TG2 is finished it is going to be one amazing piece of software. Good luck with implementing those sliders!

ahmen to that brother (is that how its spelled?)

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Angealus

It's amen and I agree fully!