Parse error.. almost crying

Started by Valentina, March 28, 2015, 02:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentina

Hi.. ater hours and hours of work I got this error. Maybe it's not a great render but for me there is so much study in it.. anyone can help?
ps I've already tried to open it with a default text editor but can see nothing.
pps maybe the tg file could also help..
thank you.
Valentina

[attachimg=1]

Mahnmut

Hello Valentina,

sorry for your file.
I don´t see anything at all when trying to open it in an editor either, so from this file there won´t be much to rescue.
Did you look for a file with the ending tgd_bak? As far as I know TG saves these on default when you overwrite a project, so you should at least be able to retrieve a relatively late version of your projekt.
By the way, this should go in the "help" or "diskussion" section rather than the image sharing.

I also lost a project once after hours of finetuning and some lucky hits on the random button, that really is frustrating. So good luck!

J

Valentina

Sorry, should I move it to the right section or should someone else? (the image made me think of the image sharing section.. it didn't come to my mind to check if there was an 'issue' section, which of course there is. my error)
yes, I have the bak file, but have to admit that i don't know how to recover it..
thank you..

Mahnmut

Hi again,
I think the moving of the post will be done by the friendly admins, but on the other hand it is good news that you got the bak file. Simply rename it to .tgd, that´s all. (maybe copy it before, just for safety)
I have no idea how often these are created and how much work you have lost, but that way you should at least get one version back!
Still it remains a mystery how you ended up with a completely empty file. Hopefully the same thing didn´t happen to the bak too.

Cheers,
J

Valentina

I've just tried to rename the file thinking it could be the right thing to do (and now you tell me it is), but the parse error has come out even with this file.... :( .. hands up.. lost file  :'(

thank you ..

Mahnmut

Sorry, then it seems your file is really lost.
Maybe one of the software-wizzards from Planetside can at least find out what happened.
What about 25_2 ?

J

Valentina

it likely is another project, (if exists, I don't remember) when I'm still in the study phase I usually give my files day/month names..  then I give them more representative names.. I hope to find out what happened .. in order to trying avoiding the same thing in future. (or at least find out how to recover even partially these files).. thank you  :)

Valentina

Oshyan

Strange, the entire file appears to be full of NULLs, 115kb of NULLs... I've never seen anything like that before. The most common cause of corrupted files is "special" (non-English) characters in file or node names, which Terragen cannot handle yet.

We always recommend use of the Save Incremental feature. Setup your initial file name, based on the day/month or whatever you like, then add a suffix like _001 and use Save Incremental to automatically increment the number. Save Incremental every 10-15 minutes. That way if something goes wrong with a file, you have others that should work and not be that different from the latest.

- Oshyan