"Embossed" snow

Started by Lucio, February 09, 2007, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I have tried the tgc associated with this and it's really great to know someone has gone to the trouble of making this happen.  My problem is that when I use the tgc it covers everything.  I'm obviously hooking it up wrong.  Any help?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

king_tiger_666

covers the entire terrain?... you have to set the max slope.. in the tgc its set to 16degrees slope i think...

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Lucio

A new test with some fake stones layer

I've created a messy environment to see how snow intersects with other elements. I've also plugged a reduced version (with very low displacement) of the node to the stone layers, plus a lambert shader to give blueish translucency

Here is some nice feature, especially on low right and center of the image: you can see how the translucency color gives a somewhat icy appearance to many zones

However you have to pay attention to the edge softness, sometimes the intersection of snow with stones or terrain can produce strange rendering artifacts on some point. I'm trying to explain why

MeltingIce

Very cool.  It does look strange in a couple of areas but overall it looks amazing.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

old_blaggard

I'm most impressed by the way the large snow overlaps and interacts with the stones.  Great job!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

king_tiger_666

Will

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 13, 2007, 03:26:59 PM
I'm most impressed by the way the large snow overlaps and interacts with the stones.  Great job!

I agree it that really really cool how you pulled that off. I'm still playing around with thge clip file myself.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

king_tiger_666

could you share a screen shot of your node setup?... thanks!!,

Tangled-Universe

Amazing Lucio, great work!
Care to share the tgd or node setup, since we're in the sharing area? ;D
Keep it up (to date), fantastic!

Martin

Volker Harun

Well,

I used it somehow different - but the main part is due to the embossed-snow-idea (though I just went through the written text)

Just have a look. Thanks again to you, Lucio!

Volker Harun

Will

wow, neat. yuor ground texture is really cool.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Tangled-Universe

Impressive work Volker, looks really great :)
Seems you're learning pretty quick. The image looks pretty "complete", all elements are present.

Martin

Volker Harun

Hi Martin,
thanks for the flowers. The image shows yesterday's state of art ,-)

Today, I remodified almost anything. Changed terrain-appearance, colours of the shaders, added fog (for foreground depth), refined the displacements and so on ,-)
The same procedure as the last days. When almost finished I am getting unsatisfied :-)

The image is just a hint that the 'embossed feature' can be used not only for snow  ;D ;D ;D

Regards,
Volker

Tangled-Universe

I understand, and I don't want to sound arrogant but I already thought about using it for sand etc. as well... And like I said you worked that out pretty well :)
However it's one of the best, may be even the best, way(s) to create realistic convincing snow.

I'm curious about your "update" on this one.
Funny to hear you're getting unsatisfied when being almost finished with your image :) Sounds very recognizable! ;D

Martin

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.