"Embossed" snow

Started by Lucio, February 09, 2007, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tiger_666

ok i found a picture from google... can't that be done by using a crater shader in conjunction with a water shader?.. all that is missing is transparency in water...

might not look too good close up but from a distance i think it might look alright...
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Will

hmm not sure what your talking about, I think you found an image that shows like a crater with a layer of ice over it or somthinglooking like that right? I'm talking about a halo that is around al ight source, it just does not refract so many colors as water vapor does.

regards,
Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Volker Harun

Will,
do you mean this
or that

Volker

Will

I was thinking the first one personally but both could be done I guess.

regards,

Will

king_tiger_666

I was thinking of something completely different obviously... would be nice to render something like that. never seen that in a image before too

Will

Well think of a HaloSim like addional plug-in for Terragen two, some extra package like the Deep+animation thing.

regards,
Will

old_blaggard

Those are really cool photos, Volker.  I've never thought of doing something like that before, but now that you guys mention it... it would be pretty cool.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Volker Harun on February 14, 2007, 03:51:57 PM
Hi dhavalmistry,

first I made a twist and shear (0.5) then a negative displacement on slopes (min slope ~40°) for making those larger and tinier overhangs.
On terrain with slopes < 20° I created the base layer like in the embossed snow and a child with displacement-offset:
Baselayer was coverage of 1, child layer has a coverage of 0.75 and fractal breakup of 1.

Second minor displacements on the base layer (stretched for a dune-like appearance) and a very very tiny displacement on its child for the grainy structure.

The main point may be: The displacement offset is ~10. This looks very weird on closeups. The camera is high above the surface and the offset appears very even.

Regards,
Volker Harun

ok I am lost....I dont  get it....I am still a noob and best of all...I hate nodes and node network...I get confused really quick. I know they are very important and powerfull and I have already seen what TG2 can do so I am kinda forcing myself to learn nodes...ahh this is going off topic...anyways I will try to figure this out....thanx for your help tho...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

Sorry man, what do you need help with?

regards,

Will

dhavalmistry

I insert the clip file and I connected snow base to planet and base colour to Snow_vertical emboss and I also added fractal terrain

and I am getting this

now what do I do....

king_tiger_666

If you generate a terrain . you can set the  slope restriction on the snow . eg snow will only be on slope less than 20 degrees etc. bu setting a maximum slope on the snow surface shader "snow base"

also "snow emboss" is another surface shader you also set the maximum slope to.. or alternatively you could set a maximum slope or restrict the snow using height. though it willn't give as much control over snow placement...

dhavalmistry

isnt it all applied...I see snow_base has max slope set to 16.5

king_tiger_666

it should work then if you generate a terrain

Lucio

Quote from: Volker Harun on February 14, 2007, 06:26:46 AM
Well,

I used it somehow different - but the main part is due to the embossed-snow-idea (though I just went through the written text)

Just have a look. Thanks again to you, Lucio!

Volker Harun

Beautiful Volker! Great work :)

Lucio

Quote from: sonshine777 on February 14, 2007, 01:59:16 PM
This is the first image that I have tried using Lucio's "Embossed" Snow shader and I am impressed. It is a little rougher than I wanted but that may be because of the treatment of power fractal and fake stones applied to the surface below. This image is still a work in progress, I will try to keep posting updates.  Thanks Lucio for your contribution :)

[attachimg=#]

Another very good result, keep it up !