Terracell planet creator by Rob Allen

Started by Rob Allen, February 09, 2007, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Allen

Here is the official thread for my new project, "Terracell".  The name "Terracell" is a combination of the names Terragen and Lunarcell and pretty clearly illustrates its design goal: to be the Lunarcell for Terragen.  In other words, a randomizable, modifiable, and user-friendly detailed planet-maker in Terragen 2.  With the TGD file (to be released later), users will be able to create as great a variety of planets as they can with Lunarcell, but with the added realism and 3d-control granted by the powerful Terragen 2 software.  Among these benefits are the ability to add multiple and colored light sources, render realistically from the surface of the planet as well as orbit, and deform the planet using displacement in ways Lunarcell could never dream of, among other things.  I also plan on eventually including a basic, configurable ring later on, for those who want to easily create ringed planets.

Keep an eye on this thread for future updates. 

Edit: Added a demo pic from version 0.24. Also, when there is a version to release, I will edit it into this message, so that it is at the top of the thread and easy to find.  I may also put a link to it in my sig.

old_blaggard

I can't wait to get my hands on this :).  Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Tangled-Universe

I really gotta keep an eye on this one ;D
I'm curious how things will turn out.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Sarge-David

Ooooo this sounds fun :)
will love to see the first version in what i suspect will be a great....plugin? ???

or...whatever it be in terragen2

Mohawk20

If you need alpha/beta testers... just let us know  ;)

Great stuff!
Howgh!

Will

Quote from: Mohawk20 on February 09, 2007, 05:49:27 PM
If you need alpha/beta testers... just let us know  ;)

Great stuff!

yea, seriously we are here for you mate ;)

Regards,

Will

oggyb

I followed the other thread with intrigue but didn't comment.  Just like to say good on ya, and you have my support! :)

M.

littlecannon

Rob, I can't wait for this to come out... it's going to make this so much more fun. Need I say, I'm up for testing?
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Will

littlecannon

I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Rob Allen

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!    :)  Knowing there is support out there will help get me through the bumps I am sure to encounter on this project.  I don't think I'll need testers until further along in the development process, but as it gets more complex I will have more to test.  Right now its very simple, and I want to keep it as simple as possible in order to maximize usability as well as reduce render times.  Around version 0.8 or so I will probably need a range of testers with different computer specs to get an idea of the average machine's render times with a mostly feature complete version of Terracell.

Sethren

Neat, this certainly beats the ousted and outdated Lunar Cell stuff.               ;D

MeltingIce

Sorry, I'm just a little confused.  This is just a .tgd file right, and not a plugin made with the SDK?  So then you're basically just setting up a planet where we can click random seed to change the landmasses and adjust the displacement and water settings to change the look of the planet?  How is this any different from me just going into TGTP, zooming way out, adding some water, and rendering a planet?  I am familiar with LunarCell, so does that mean you are going to add support for city lights?  Sorry, I guess I just don't get the point of this  :(

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

dhavalmistry

Quote from: littlecannon on February 09, 2007, 07:06:41 PM
Rob, I can't wait for this to come out... it's going to make this so much more fun. Need I say, I'm up for testing?
Simon.

LOVE your moon man....DAMN!!!!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"