Terracell planet creator by Rob Allen

Started by Rob Allen, February 09, 2007, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

Melting - I'm assuming that this is just a .tgd, but creating a realistic planet is much more difficult than that.  What Rob is trying to do is creating a planet that looks good everywhere from all heights.  Thus, if you did an animation zooming down to the planet's surface, the planet would look realistic all the way from the continents to (say) the grains of sand on the beach you zoomed in to.  This is really useful as a kind of template for creating worlds that need to be viewed from multiple scales.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

MeltingIce

Ah ok that makes more sense then, I can understand what you mean about it being realistic on every level because that really is a challenge.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Rob Allen

Yep that's it.  And it has already been quite a bit of work getting the continents to have realistic shapes.  A plain global landscape fractal with oceans comes up looking pretty bad, and alot of getting the realistic shapes lies in scaling, warping and displacement.  One of the earliest problems I had was that I was getting realistic continents but the mountains were extending way out into space, and oftentimes shots from about 20 miles inland with the sun overhead would have thin skies with very visible stars, basically the mean altitude of the landmasses was way too high.  So there is alot of fine-tuning involved just to get things to a realistic level.  I would also like to make the oceans as deep as they are on earth but it's not a priority.  Few people are going to be trying to render underwater scenes -- though I will make Terracell to support them - right now average ocean depth is about 1.5km, whereas on earth it is 3.8km. - and its still pretty early.  I may be able to get closer to realism as development continues.  For now, the bigger priority is making sure the land altitudes are realistic.  I don't want every continent's center to be an Everest, but I am also trying to avoid the Flatworld Tendency.  I spent several hours yesterday fighting what I call "Australia Syndrome", that is an over-abundance of minor continents and no major continents.  Think I got that worked out now, but still, a large part of it is random, so you never know what you will get.  I have to do multiple renders from different seeds to get a feel for how each change has really effected things.  Sometimes I get gigantic continents, while other times I get mostly ocean worlds, but most of the time I can get something close to earth's continents, which is the goal.  And when I finish the mountian ranges shader, it will naturally modify the continent shapes as well as creating new islands and island chains.

edlo

Quote from: Rob Allen on February 09, 2007, 03:36:57 PM
Here is the official thread for my new project, "Terracell".  The name "Terracell" is a combination of the names Terragen and Lunarcell and pretty clearly illustrates its design goal: to be the Lunarcell for Terragen.  In other words, a randomizable, modifiable, and user-friendly detailed planet-maker in Terragen 2.  With the TGD file (to be released later), users will be able to create as great a variety of planets as they can with Lunarcell, but with the added realism and 3d-control granted by the powerful Terragen 2 software.  Among these benefits are the ability to add multiple and colored light sources, render realistically from the surface of the planet as well as orbit, and deform the planet using displacement in ways Lunarcell could never dream of, among other things.  I also plan on eventually including a basic, configurable ring later on, for those who want to easily create ringed planets.

Keep an eye on this thread for future updates. 

Edit: Added a demo pic from version 0.24. Also, when there is a version to release, I will edit it into this message, so that it is at the top of the thread and easy to find.  I may also put a link to it in my sig.

Your idea its great for making TG2 easy to use for people that otherwise cant create their own views, terrain shapes atmosphere etc. I don't know about the "Terracell" name though, mixing a great piece of software with a cheap solution to create planet like moons (lunarcell) diminishes your project and gives the wrong idea about terragen. The generic Earth project or something along that line was much more expressive of what you are trying to accomplish.

Rob Allen

A good point, but ultimately this is designed to be rather simple so that I can provide good render times from the start, and to allow users plenty of freedom to modify the base planet in very dynamic ways.  So in that way it is very much like Lunarcell, a simple, easy to use system that lets you create acceptable looking planets with low render/drawing times.  And, technically speaking, "Terracell" is an original name, even though it doesn't sound like it.  Hmm, perhaps I should talk to Flaming Pear about possible endorsement...  Then again, I'm doing this as a free project.  Charging money for a tgd file seems a little ... questionable, at this point.  Then again, depending on how sophisticated this project gets perhaps it's worth thinking about.

Either way, it'll still be cheaper than Lunarcell. ;)

Attached is an aerial render from a recent version of the tgd, demonstrating the current stage of development: mid-level terrain sculpting. (this render is from approx. 11km altitude, the standard cruising altitude of commercial jetliners)

Will

excellent, I'm really happy your continuing with this project I think it will be a ton of fun to play around with.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Rob Allen

It's a surprising amount of fun just creating the technical parts of the system, but yeah, I'm also looking forward to the point where I can just start playing with it.

Will

I really wish I new more about programming, Its so much fun (at least at times) but my skill is still really limited.

regards,
Will

Rob Allen

The project has finally hit version 0.25, and some milestones have been accomplished, as follows:

* Began basic implementation of non-biome dependent surface-level terrain features like hills, valleys, and ravines.
* Intermediate implementation of mountain ranges and peaks.
* Advanced implementation of continent shapes, islands, and archipelagos.
* Basic non-biome dependent surface colors implemented.

Still to be done:

- Refine surface-level terrain features.
- Implement biome map (goal for V0.3)
- Eliminate excessive occurances of "sand-dune" effects at low-altitude and surface levels.
- Refine default color scheme based on biome implementation
- Render times average at 30 mins for surface-level - try to improve

old_blaggard

Your continents are looking really good right now.  Will this be able to imitate the great plains and other flat places in addition to the mountainous terrain you've shown?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

^ Good question, I agree with you that the contients are looking awsome. Keep it up man I really can't wair for this!

Regards,

Will

Rob Allen

Yes, in fact in an earlier version it was doing that all over the planet.  The continents themselves are basically finished, what I need to do now is refine the mountain shaders like I did with the continents to allow for more variety.  Alot of this will also depend on biome-implementation, since for one thing, biomes let me very clearly see how altitudes are being handled from a global view, and the biomes themselves will modify displacement as well.  The biomes will also eliminate alot of the patterning of certain flat surfaces, which you can see in the second pic, by basically covering the surface with a procedural texture, and later on, rocks and vegetation.

Sethren

Good luck on trying to contact Flaming Pear. I have been trying that for years. I still think it is a 1 man operation behind all of those filters.

Question Rob.

Have you had any success on creating actual long mountain chain systems unless i missed that part somehow.     :-[

Rob Allen

I havent actually been looking for large mountain chains as such, but it appears that they are being generated based on the way the continents seem to form.  I've noticed common occurances of peninsulas and archipelago's, which indicates that mountain chains are being formed.  I use Perlin ridges for many parts of the larger-scale terrain generation, and thus, there should be chains forming.  It's a rather difficult thing to check because they are so large, but that is one area that biome colorations will make much clearer.

Will

Neat, keep it up mate!

Regards,

Will

been a slow post day, wonder why...