Community Challenge

Started by Will, February 09, 2007, 08:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hello everyone, I was thining about a way to tap the creativity and skill of the community and though it might be fun if we had like weekly challenges or somthing resembling such that would be based around a theme. I know that there is cetnaly enough talent here to pull it off but I don't want to start one if people don't want to particpate so tell me if you would be intrrested in somthing like this or what you think would need to change.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Angealus

Although this sounds like fun and I would be GREATLY interested in the challenge, not all of us are at the same level of ability. How would that work? Would you base it on not only the ability, but the pic as well?

Will

Well I think it would not nessarly go agienst those who are new (we all are really but I see your point) and I think there are definatly some kinks to be worked out but thats why I wanted people to provide input before we acualy started one. I was thinking somthing like one render per person and that you could do post work if you wanted as long as the orginal image stayed pretty much intact. we could even of diffrent catagories if people though it owuld not be a fair compotision. But of course in the end it would all be for fun.

Regards,

Will

Cyber-Angel

No, If your going to have some thing like this then it shouldn't matter the level of ability some one has with the programme, that is unfair and not how some thing like this should be run.

People of of levels of ability should be able to participate and the voting would need to be set up in such away that such biases never become an issue. I know what I am talking about since over at Ashundar I run the Ashundar Monthly Featured Image (AMFI) contest.

With this contest at the end of the mouth a voting thread (We Could use Polls here) is opened for one week where people can vote but they cannot vote for there own image, then at the end of the voting week the voting thread is closed and the votes counted and the winner announced.

Though the rules have not been modified yet to deal with a tie break situation, in this instance the images that are tied links to them would be put in a special tie break thread and a tie break vote would be held for an additional week and the votes counted again, if at the end of the voting they are still tied then a moderators decision will be used to decide the winner.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  

old_blaggard

I think the whole idea of a contest is a good one.  However, as C-A said, there are some good ones over at Ashundar.  Not to sound like an advertisement, but Ashundar's got forums, galleries, nice people, and contests.  We've got both the Image of the Week (IotW) contests and the AMFI contest.  I would recommend checking them out and maybe entering.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

RedSquare

I'm quite prepared to be jumped on by one and all, but my feelings on this are that this type of thing is covered in other sites such as http://www.terranuts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7798 and http://www.ashundar.com/forums.phpamongst no doubt many others.  Soooo, whilst not wishing to put a dampener on your suggestion, I feel that this is rather duplicating something that is already out in the community.  Where as this site is, the most singularly valuable resource to the community in general, for unlike any other has a direct link to the powers that be.

Will

Ah I can see you have a lot of exprence with this type of thing. Those are very good points, I really just want this to be a fair, fun experence that can give people a excuse to try somthing diffrent and I think, if done correctly, could really help everyone. Your concern about bias is very important as it could lead to an evirment that is no longer friendly to begginers. your end of the month (or week or what ever) poll is how I was planning on implmenting it. If you have any other suggestions please post them since you know what your doing.

As for the fac tthat there are sevral other simular events out there is a good point as well and thats why I'm only suggesting this it up to everyone else to really deside whether it will be done or not.

Regards,

Will

Cyber-Angel

Will,

You might what to have a look at this over at Ashundar these are the current standing rules of the AMFI Contest:

http://www.ashundar.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=2773

And here is the rules for the Image Of The Week (IOTW) contest:

http://www.ashundar.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=1968

You might want to look these over first then decide how you want to proceed if you need any help I am maybe able to offer some advice.

Regards to you

Cyber-Angel   

RedSquare

Summarizing my comments, I guess I don't want to see this site diluted by competitions etc as it is an offical site of Planetside and as such the detail could/may be lost in a proliferation of forums.  BUT, you may think otherwise. ;D  I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying why do it here?

MeltingIce

I don't mean to advertise as well, but you are welcome to start contests over at the designpaths forums since we have a section specially for that.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

king_tiger_666

sounds interesting..... how  not a over all render but like a challenge for clouds/ landscape/ water? all made within tg2 no outside programs like world wind etc??....

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

MeltingIce

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on February 10, 2007, 05:38:41 AM
sounds interesting..... how  not a over all render but like a challenge for clouds/ landscape/ water? all made within tg2 no outside programs like world wind etc??....

Yea, it would be more fair if the contest was on just a single subject instead of the entire scene.  I think a clouds contest would be a good one to start with, since they are probably the easiest to tweak.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

dhavalmistry

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 10, 2007, 12:15:56 PM

Yea, it would be more fair if the contest was on just a single subject instead of the entire scene.  I think a clouds contest would be a good one to start with, since they are probably the easiest to tweak.

they can also take long time to render....as I am doing one rite now... ;)

and that is just quick render
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Mohawk20

Earlier the difference in ability of people was a concearn to some.
In my personal experience, it doesn't matter as much as we fear...

I was very new when I entered the Ashundar community. My work was very low level. The contest actually helped me to advance my skills. So if you are low level, and you 'loose' or better 'do not win' the contests, it still makes you better, inspires you and gives you training. Eventually you can win, several times.

However, as said, this might not be the place for this. I do think it would be nice to have a thread that summarizes all current competitions on the various sites.
So in one post it could say:
  "This week a new contest on Ashundar, themed to a special terrain. On Renderosity themed .. (what ever)..." And this month a new contest opened on Ashundar themed Crashed. Current Monthly on renderosity running 2 weeks themed Sun."

Or something like that...
Howgh!

firesuite

Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 10, 2007, 12:27:57 PM
Quote from: MeltingIce on February 10, 2007, 12:15:56 PM

they can also take long time to render....as I am doing one rite now... ;)

and that is just quick render

Um i dont mean to be critical here but if youre taking 46 + minutes to render a 320x240 test image then theres something seriously too high in your settings :P