Community Challenge

Started by Will, February 09, 2007, 08:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSquare

QuoteHowever, as said, this might not be the place for this. I do think it would be nice to have a thread that summarizes all current competitions on the various sites.
Well said.  ;D

old_blaggard

That's a good idea.  I don't have time for that myself, but if anyone does, that would be great.  If you want to make a thread just tracking the contests over at Ashundar and Terranuts for starters, it would be good.  Maybe Oshyan will sticky it if he ever comes back :P.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: firesuite on February 10, 2007, 12:44:25 PM
Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 10, 2007, 12:27:57 PM
Quote from: MeltingIce on February 10, 2007, 12:15:56 PM
Quote from: king_tiger_666 on February 10, 2007, 05:38:41 AM
sounds interesting..... how  not a over all render but like a challenge for clouds/ landscape/ water? all made within tg2 no outside programs like world wind etc??....

Yea, it would be more fair if the contest was on just a single subject instead of the entire scene.  I think a clouds contest would be a good one to start with, since they are probably the easiest to tweak.

they can also take long time to render....as I am doing one rite now... ;)

and that is just quick render

Um i dont mean to be critical here but if youre taking 46 + minutes to render a 320x240 test image then theres something seriously too high in your settings :P

it is 1hr 10 mins and its still rendering....

The only thing high in that render is cloud samples (around 4000) cuz of cloud density 25

I am not complaining why is it taking long....I am just saying that it can take very lon time to render some good clouds....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

Ok, you NEVER NEED 4000 SAMPLES EVER!!!! :P  With cloud density 25, you might need 1000, or maybe even 1500, but looking at your render, the clouds are far enough away that those sample numbers should be sufficient.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 10, 2007, 12:52:15 PM
Ok, you NEVER NEED 4000 SAMPLES EVER!!!! :P  With cloud density 25, you might need 1000, or maybe even 1500, but looking at your render, the clouds are far enough away that those sample numbers should be sufficient.

yes I know...but I like to render with quality set to 1...my full renders are always rendered with detail set 1 too....

just for my personal satisfaction

ya call me a fool....  :D

Will

Well I would be willing to keep an updated topic on other community contests and such if thats what you guys think would be best.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

MeltingIce

Quote from: Will on February 10, 2007, 01:38:46 PM
Well I would be willing to keep an updated topic on other community contests and such if thats what you guys think would be best.

Regards,

Will
Absolutely, sounds good.  Someone give me an idea for a first challenge and I will start it on the Designpaths forums.  Since clouds take too long to render right now, what about a terrain modification challenge?  I also need ideas for some kind of prize lol.  What about free web hosting with 4GB storage and a subdomain?  I'm not sure how many people would be interested in that though.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

old_blaggard

Yeah, I'm guessing that wouldn't be the most popular prize, although I would jump at it ;).  Maybe you could just set up a contest winners recognition page, or have the winner's image featured somewhere prominent.

MeltingIce

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 10, 2007, 02:17:39 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing that wouldn't be the most popular prize, although I would jump at it ;).  Maybe you could just set up a contest winners recognition page, or have the winner's image featured somewhere prominent.
I could probably make a winners page on the main DesignPaths site, which gets plenty of visitors.

dhavalmistry

may be some kinda giftcard to some online subscriptions like cgsociety.org

Will

Neat I saw that melting ice started a contest, I think that Clouds would be a nice place to start so we could have a backround on which to judge for votes.

Regards,

Will

MeltingIce

Actually I made the contest a terrain modification challenge and so its too late to change now, sorry.  The next one can be clouds though  :P  The reason I did terrain over clouds was because this would cut down on render time a lot.

Will

king_tiger_666

cool i might do a cloud render... all depending on how many days the challenge is open for

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

MeltingIce

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on February 11, 2007, 07:57:55 AM
cool i might do a cloud render... all depending on how many days the challenge is open for

Actually, the contest is over terrain modification  :P  Here's a link to all the information: http://www.designpaths.com/forums/thread.php?sid=27b7e9ad525d0da09461b71510a11a72&postid=107#post107