snow on trees

Started by folder, February 10, 2007, 08:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

folder

Hi, all

following the thread of how to add snow on trees in which Oyshan described how he added snow. I tried what i thought he suggested last night and here is the result. He mentioned something about more show on the tree as the altitude rose. I do not think this does that. I sort of guessed at what he suggested and as I still am a   complete NOOB at TG2, this is what I came up with
  In the Nodes window, right click on the tree object and select "internal network, the object name will come up alone again, repeat the step of right clicking on the object name and selecting "internal network" this time the model treeinfo branches  will appear. all I did was disconnect "clo2m_needle1" and "clo2m_needle2" from"clowm_ms".I then added the surface layer shader by right clicking in the  gray area, selecting "create shader" then selecting "surface shader",and finally  "surface layer". I then reconnected the suface layer to "clown_ms".

I clicked on the apply color setting of the surface layer, changed the color to white and adjusted the slider a bit. then I rendered the scene, fell asleep for a bit and it worked. I only missed with needle 2, figuring this would not work.

I have included a jpeg scene, the tgd file and a picture of the tree node. while writing this i have decided to redo the scene, but this time with the snow a differente color to show the contrast

there is a hard snow line in the distance. I tried to make it more realistic, can anyone help.using fuzzy and treak settings did not seem to work

if this is a viable technique, could someone with more expertise improve upon it. I still do not know what all the setting do,so it is possible more can be accomplished.
TG2 is just amazing. was this a planned feature?

the reason i tried to figure this out, was that when I finished the original render with green trees. it looked bad against the snow. if there is that much snow on the ground, there should be some in the trees.

while watching the red tree image render, needle 1 which i did not touch has the graying white default colour. it shows against the red, so to get a more realistic effect, one needle could be white, the other greenish maybe. and since there are 4 items in the tree imagemap, needles 1 and 2 and needle_fruit and needle_bark I guess for closeup they could also be manipulated

I am about to render the scene again with the 2 needles different colours, green and white. will upload it after this as I am not sure of my upload limit I forgot and changed the 2nd needle colour while it was still rendering - so part of this will have green --oops

Oyshan, have I got your method correct

thanks

david

old_blaggard

Nice job!  Thats's a pretty useful trick - thanks :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

folder

king_tiger_666

very useful if you want a winter render, thanks for sharing and showing the node image

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

crazymonkey

very nicely done, thanks for sharing :)

Oshyan

Yes, that's basically the same method I used. Then I set "Use Y for altitude" in the altitude constraints tab and set a minimum altitude for the white surface layers and that got me a slow fade from "snow covered" to normal trees.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

Very clever trick - thanks!