Custom Colors Question

Started by jaf, September 18, 2009, 10:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

I decided to make some color changes to a scene I was working on and thought I would use the assign custom color feature to store the current values and work from there.

Okay, I added the first one and it went to the expected top-left slot.  But when I tried to add a second color, I couldn't figure out how to do it.  I thought I could click the apply color icon of, click the custom color slot, and click "Add to Custom Colors."  That didn't work -- it only makes the current color the color of the clicked slot (black.)  I also thought the "Define Custom Colors" was a button, especially since it had the underscored 'D", but I haven't seen it active yet.  The "What is this" seems to explain how I think it would or should work, but it doesn't for me.

Anyway, I'm probably missing something really simple. 
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Henry Blewer

This is almost the worst color picker. Here's what I do... I pick a slot, make the color change. Now click on the add to custom color button. I took quite some time to get this figured out. If you don't select the slot first, the add to custom colors only uses the first slot. It's quite annoying.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jaf

I'm in the middle of a render now so I don't like messing with the program until it finishes. But where I was running into problems was adding a second custom color.  When I click the color icon on the shader to get the color picker, I tried clicking the second slot.  When I do that, it selects the black color of the (clicked) slot and sets that as the new color, and I can't seem to be able to change that new color to one I want to store.  That "define" thing looks like a button, but it's never active or it's just a message pointer?

Sounds confusing, and maybe it's me (usually is!) so I'll give it another look in a couple hours.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

cyphyr

Why do you want to store a colour ? I'm guessing one reason may be that you've got a colour in use in one place that you'd like to use again. Well its not an ideal solution but one thing you can do in Terragen is drag and drop colours to and from their "colour wells" (eg the coloured boxes at the right of the colour sliders in a power fractal).
Might help a bit  :-\
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

I did not know you could do that. ??? Thanks, it's a great tip! 8)

jaf

Yes, thanks for the great tip.

I had several shaders that I wanted to adjust colors from one to the next, so my thinking was to store the first to use as a reference (starting point) for the next, and so on.  I thought that's what custom colors would be for.

I use a dual monitor setup so I can keep my text editor open and copy color values to it, but really don't see why TG2 shouldn't handle something this simple.

Now the way to make it work is to click on the color icon and look at the color values, click the desired slot, and then re-enter the original values.  But it seems to me there shouldn't be a need for manual color value entries.

Oshyan

The simple fact is the Windows color picker sucks. I think the method described above of clicking on the color first does work, generally speaking, but it's very cumbersome and error-prone. We'll need to figure out a better solution at some point...

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

It would be nice to have the ability to load an image. This would be great for reference. But the best part would be the ability to grab a color from the image. Believe it or not, I like the color selector in Blender. :o