Halloween (maybe) -- FINAL RENDER ON 4th PAGE

Started by typerextreme, September 20, 2009, 05:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typerextreme

Quote from: njeneb on September 23, 2009, 06:15:58 PM
Check the pumpkin for double sided polygons. They should be on. The light may not have raytraced shadows turned on. It should be on.
I right click on the location I like for an object, then copy coordinates. Then I paste the coordinates into the 'translate' inout of the object settings. The objects origin (object center) should be almost at the bottom/center of the object. PoseRay should allow you to check this and move it if necessary.

Double sided surfaces is checked.  The location is fine for me, I just had to adjust the height. I have aboslutely no clue how to use PoseRay or where to get it.

Where is ray traced shadows for the light source? I have it turned on right now for the render, and i had it on for the render above.
Computer stats

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
RAM: 2gb
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family 358 MB
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 Ghz

cyphyr

Looking good :)
If you want "light Rays" coming out of the Jack-o Turn on Ray traced Shadows in your fog layer, It'll slow down your render (a lot) But can look nice :)
Also everything njeneb said :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

typerextreme

Quote from: cyphyr on September 23, 2009, 06:30:36 PM
Looking good :)
If you want "light Rays" coming out of the Jack-o Turn on Ray traced Shadows in your fog layer, It'll slow down your render (a lot) But can look nice :)
Also everything njeneb said :)
Richard

Alright i'm trying it.
Computer stats

typerextreme

Ok I achieved the effect I wanted with the jack-o-lantern. Although I believe I need to raise it up a little bit more. The only thing I'm wondering about now, is why is it sooo grainy. Do I need to raise the fog's samples to above 16? This crop was rendered at 0.75 quality on the render tab.
Computer stats

Henry Blewer

In the atmosphere settings, go to quality and boost the samples to 128. The default is 16. Again, render time will go way up, but it will help with the graininess. You can also do a crop render by going to crop region in the render tab. Enable it, and then size the red box whee in the image you want.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

typerextreme

Quote from: njeneb on September 23, 2009, 09:52:18 PM
In the atmosphere settings, go to quality and boost the samples to 128. The default is 16. Again, render time will go way up, but it will help with the graininess. You can also do a crop render by going to crop region in the render tab. Enable it, and then size the red box whee in the image you want.

Actually i did crop that with terragen. But wow, thats a whole lot to boost it to.  I've been playing with it and have atmo at 32 and fog at 32. Any suggestions for the fog? or should I try it as it is.
Computer stats

typerextreme

Oh i just noticed, i have the fog's acceleration cache set to optimal, should i set it to conservative or none? see if that helps?
Computer stats

typerextreme

Ok i got a crop render done with atmosphere at 128 samples and fog at 64 samples. Most of the grain is gone, and that doubled the render time just for the crop, i'm going to try and get a good look in the crop and then render full.  0.75 quality on the render tab again. Results below.

Currently rendering atmo 128 samples, fog 96 samples just to try to reduce the graininess some more.
Computer stats

typerextreme

Ok to me it only looks like it made the grain randomize, but it's still there. So I'm going to drop the fog's samples back down to 64 and render the uncropped image.
Computer stats

FrankB

TG2 cannot satisfy you with this scene. The contrast of the light and shadow in the atmosphere and fog is too strong to be rendered without grain without using insane quality settings in the atmosphere. I guess the grain will go away at 500 samples. Many of us have tried a scene like this, and I think it's fair to say that TG2 is not the app of choice for scenes like this. I hate to say but you better give up on this scene, unless you can live with veeery long render times.

Frank

PG

Oh I dunno. The grain kinda looks like dust or flies. As I always say, if you can't fix it, act like you meant to do it.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

cyphyr

Its not great but it is free(ish) ;)
Have a go at Neat Image specifically designed for noise removal. Works in some cases but by no means all.
It really needs a larger area to work on but 30sec later here is a "filtered" result :) Looks a bit like smart blurring ... Could be better with a bigger image and more that 30 sec spent on it lol :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

MacGyver

The filtered image already looks better Richard! This could be the means by which this scene could be saved if the grain isn't supposed to be there at all :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Henry Blewer

Why not cheat? An old volumetric light fake was to extrude the part which was supposed to be light beams. Make them single sided, add transparency, and give them a luminous texture with a fractal fade towards the camera.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cyphyr

Quote from: njeneb on September 24, 2009, 10:50:22 AM
Why not cheat? An old volumetric light fake was to extrude the part which was supposed to be light beams. Make them single sided, add transparency, and give them a luminous texture with a fractal fade towards the camera.
That would work perfectly, and be fairly fast, were it not for one small detail ... Terragen cant do proper transparency :(
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\