camera control

Started by Dune, October 03, 2009, 02:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Is there any other node (other than the image map shader) that is controlled by a camera? I would like to control a PFS (or a chain of them) by camera. Possible? Hope to get some suggestions...

---Dune

dandelO

What about some varying distance shaders?

Dune

Yeah, but that's more like a gradient. It would need to be colours and patches of it.

dandelO

You could try a distance shader set as a blender to a surface layer and then that layer set as the blend to the patchiness fractal. Then only fractal patches would be rendered at the described distances. Use very narrow settings in the distance shader to reduce the gradient appearance.

I don't know if that's complicating things or completely on the wrong track, no idea what you're trying to do.

Dune

Thanks Dandel0 for your suggestions, but I don't think that'll do the trick. I'm trying to find an easier way to color-vary populations. I'll post my way soon, after some more tests.

---Dune

Tangled-Universe

Your way of adding color variations to populations; does it variation per instance or is there variation inside each instance?
The first would be awesome and I'm not sure how you could do that, so that would be a great find!

Martin

Dune

It's not exactly a per instance difference, but with a careful mask and some fiddling you might get a tree by tree difference. It's certainly not within one instance, that's not too hard. For now its just color patches over the whole pop, but they are easily changeable (enlarged, made stronger...). I am now rendering a sample where the lower half of one population of trees has a autumn-like color gradation, higher up the same pop is covered by fresh snow, and real high up the same pop has dropped its leaves... still needs some time.
I have tried every angle to not have to use an image map, and do it procedural, but to no avail.

---Dune

Dune

Here's some quick and ugly tests...