NWDA Default Scene

Started by FrankB, September 23, 2009, 11:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrix2003

Don't hurt me Planetside! ;D    I remember when T2 came out, there was a characterization in the forums that Terragen 0.9.43 was an easy hobbyist program, and T2 was not.  It was described as,  'from memory'  now- so don't kill me if I get this wrong,   -that T2 was more for a professional person in a graphics field that would comprehend all of this.  I have to agree, that is true, and I have beat an awful lot of this into my head,  - but there is equally a lot that escapes me.  That being said,  the old 9.43 days had a wealth of info: http://terrasource.net/  = 403 Forbidden now.

I am still on board, but its not easy guys!
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Matt

Planetside didn't create the NWDA Default Scene. Just in case there's any ambiguity, NWDA is an independent entity and Planetside is not responsible for anything they release. Please bear that in mind when using third party projects with internal networks filled with hidden nodes or other setups that we don't officially endorse.

Terragen 2 itself needs more documentation, we know, and we'll work on that.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

pfrancke

Promises, promises, mutter, mutter, spittle and butter.  I'll be here waiting and waiting because I know someday it will be better and because you guys are kicking butt.  BTW, I posted the default at RO and two people even marked the damn thing as favorites.  So perhaps you "should" endorse Frank's work.  But I question that the software should allow for "hidden" or rather "un-tracked" nodes.  Ok, I've been bad enough, I'll crawl back under one of the surfaces of a render that's crawling along.... 

Matt

It's not good that that you can't easily find them - the user interface should make it more clear when there are internal nodes.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

FrankB

Hi Piet :)

I couldn't help a little smile while reading your post, because you're right in that it's not obvious how the fractal terrain works in this default scene. *However*, it's not intended to be a fully documented procedural network. It's just a preset, if you will. I use it for myself whenever I just need a random procedural terrain - usually when the scene I want to make is not centered or close up on the terrain. It's similar to the default heightfield shader in the the sense that you can click generate terrain and then looks for a nice POV - just that this one is procedural and goes around the planet.
You can use that, or re-connect the default heightfield instead.
Trouble is, that the procedural terrain is not build with just one shader, and I was simplifying the usage by hiding the majority of the network, just having one shader to connect to from the outside. Which helps in keeping the network cleaner.
Sorry for scaring you that it seemed I can build large mountains with centimeter scale fractals ;D

Glad you figured it out now. I agree however - I think everyone agrees - that it should be more obvious from the UI when a group or node contains thing in the inner network. However, please note that Planetside is an independent entity from NWDA, and we're not responsible for what Planetside releases ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, jokes aside, the NWDA default project is just free stuff we're sharing, in the hope that someone may find it useful. If not, never mind, just throw it in the virtual waste bin :)

Regards;
Frank

pfrancke

;)  Sorry for stirring up the ruckus..  From my point of view what you guys do is very useful and also is exactly what we need in order for TG2 to acquire greater mass appeal.  On a personal note, I find the work you guys do very valuable from a plug and play perspective.  But believe me, if that was all it provided, while useful, I wouldn't have bought it.  Because ease of use is secondary to being able to use it as a learning device.

A few weeks ago (or so) when this site was invaded by the TG9 hoopla, I was in shock as to how faithful they were to their old software and how furious the attacks on TG2.
I think your packs have the potential to bring in new folks that otherwise would have been scared off.  But if I had to hazard a guess, the types of folk that use applications like this have great curiosity and pretty much will demand to know how it works.  But I might be wrong, there might be a large untapped pool of folks on the plug and play spectrum...

cyphyr

Name groups that have internal networks with a "+" prefix.
is all :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

matrix2003

Brilliant  :D  ..and Thanks Matt.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Dune

This may sound a bit 'cocky', and I do mean it less severely than it may sound, but I personally like it that TG is not too easy to understand. Firstly, it keeps my brain active (no alzheimer for me hopefully) and gives me great satisfaction to have accomplished something. And secondly, if TG becomes 'commonplace', just anybody can render great scenes with just a few clicks. To compare it to painting artists, you'd have the fill-in cards to produce Rembrandts, and the world is swamped with TG renders.
For instance; I have just found a way to get colour variation in one pop of trees (or grass, or whatever), but hesitate to share, as it took me a couple of days experimenting, testing, sleepless nights and 'headaches'.

---Dune

Henry Blewer

If it was simple, we would not have the variety of renders. Besides, I can use simple techniques to make interesting renders. They may not stack next to the 'Masters', but I enjoy the process.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi,

For the next release I've added a little plus icon to the right side of nodes which have internal nodes. That's a coincidence Richard ;-). I've also added "Has internal nodes" to the tooltip for nodes with internal nodes.

Something else I added a little while ago is a little arrow next to node inputs or outputs to show that they're connected to a node in a different part of the hierarchy. I was getting a bit confused by inputs or outputs which didn't appear to be connected but which were actually connected to a node at a different level.

Regards,

Jo

Kadri

Guys excuse me but TG2 have to some degree to be easy to use . İ use the free version but with this kınd of small cost  Planetside have to sell a lot more. With that kind of approach  i don' t think that we see many and fast advances in the software.
Beside that there are many cheap photo cameras but not so many good Photos...same with TG 2 ...it is the artist the talent that matters. But i know you know that  ;)

Kadri.

FrankB

could be worth splitting this thread...

schmeerlap

Well said, Kadri. A difficult-to-get-to-grips-with TG2 is not for me either. I totally disagree with the exclusive, esoteric approach that Dune seems to be promoting. Sure there is a learning curve with any complex application, but the aim surely has to be a TG2 that is as user-friendly as possible. And I'm also sure this is Planetside's ultimate aim too.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Kadri

Quote from: FrankB on September 28, 2009, 07:44:10 AM
could be worth splitting this thread...

Frank excuse me if i don' t make it clear. There can be many thinks said about your contribution   as NWDA. But i think you make TG2  easy to use. İ am not against  you  and thanks    :)

Schmeerlap :)

Kadri.