Terragen 2 Contest

Started by MeltingIce, February 10, 2007, 02:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingIce

I have started a Terragen 2 contest that I invite all of you to enter into.  Since many of us have agreed that we don't want the contest hosted by these forums, I have started the contest on the Designpaths forums.  Make sure to read all the rules, as they are very important.  The deadline for submitting an image is Feb 28th, 2007.  All the information can be found here

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

MeltingIce

I was wondering if I could get this stickied.  The more users that participate, the better we will become as a community at Terragen 2.  I feel contests are the best ways to learn a new program because they push you to try new things and expand your knowledge.

Rich

cool MeltingIce. I like that your contest is themed on terrain modification so that people can concentrate on one thing and really try pushing this aspect of the program, and i think many people will be able to enter since its not about how pretty you can make your clouds or whatnot...

Angealus

So, one quick ?, no tweaks, not even quality, to anything but terrain correct?

Angealus

MeltingIce

Thats a good point, you can raise quality levels if you think you need it.  As for objects, I will allow them as well.

Rich

what about people using DEMs, you should specify if it's allowed or not...

MeltingIce

Haha its so hard to think of every little rule before starting a contest, I guess this is why I'm not going to be a lawyer :P
I'm going to have to say DEM's and MOLA files can't be used because I think the terrain should be completely original and not based off a set one.

Will

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 11, 2007, 12:38:18 PM
Haha its so hard to think of every little rule before starting a contest, I guess this is why I'm not going to be a lawyer :P
I'm going to have to say DEM's and MOLA files can't be used because I think the terrain should be completely original and not based off a set one.

thats why I made the Community Challenge thread because 400 heads are better then one (in most cases that is). I agree though all terrian should be completely original.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

This is an interesting contest - most of the other ones aren't this specific in terms of what area to focus on.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

MeltingIce

Yea, my rational behind this though is that many people are still deep in the process of learning TG2.  I figured that making the contest focus in on one aspect of the program would help people push themselves to become better at that certain area.  If this were just a general "make the best render" contest, people wouldn't learn as much.  This contest is really more a learning opportunity than anything, but with a prize for motivation :P

Will

Oh and MeltingIce are we posting here or on the PATHs Message board?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

I'm guessing that you should post on the Path's message board instead of here, because the contest is taking place over there.  I'm all for the contest, but I don't think we should necessarily tie it to these forums.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

MeltingIce

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 11, 2007, 01:51:26 PM
I'm all for the contest, but I don't think we should necessarily tie it to these forums.
Yea, a lot of people felt that way, so everything should be posted on the PATHS forums  ;)