Rendering via CUDA

Started by PorcupineFloyd, October 01, 2009, 07:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancah

The next version of V-ray will have OpenCL support. But what I noticed was that even they weren't able to make it work with procedural displacements...

Jack

Quote from: freelancah on November 06, 2010, 04:37:23 PM
The next version of V-ray will have OpenCL support. But what I noticed was that even they weren't able to make it work with procedural displacements...

its because all the companies that are getting into gpu raytracing are using the same algorithms they use for cpu rendering what is needed is algorithms designed just for gpu acceleration as gpus have 100's of core unlike cpu's which have max 12 atm? maybe wrong i know amd are bringing out that bulldozer thing that has 16 cores.
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

freelancah

Yeah I believe it has something to do with memory required per thread or something similiar.

Jack

give it a year or two and it'll be all worked out i think ;D
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

freelancah

I think it might take a bit more than that but Im still hopeful that it will happen ;) I think it will require some changes in GPU architecture and probably game engines need to go more towards realtime raytracing to make this happen. If I understood the problems correctly. Both of these things are memory dependant and if either one could kick the develpement into the right direction. Perhaps we will have some consumer level cards that can do this sometime in the near future  :P

PG

Even game engines aren't written to really maximise GPU technologies. The idea of so-called machothreading with this kind of incremental form of ordering memory was only introduced to GPU's around 2006 so most gme developers are still sending buffers in the old CPU style which is unfortunately more or less limited by DirectX.

If microsoft teams up with nVidia and AMD to allow developers much greater control over how the buffers are stored and transfered on the GPU then I think that'll permeate through all areas of visual software programming as it always has, 99.999% of innovation in graphics has come through gaming so until they do it I don't think anyone else will bother. Gamers are much more likely to make the sacrifice of new hardware, software upgrades, etc. than companies that use things like Terragen or Vue.

Sorry just having a little vent.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

TheBlackHole

Is this some kind of seasonal thread? I remember seeing this thread about this time of year last year! ;D
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Zairyn Arsyn

i think TBH might be onto something here... :D
this thread has been active during the cooler and colder months, at least were i'm living.
Quote from: TheBlackHole on November 09, 2010, 11:04:46 AM
Is this some kind of seasonal thread? I remember seeing this thread about this time of year last year! ;D
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Henry Blewer

It has been going on for some time.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Cyber-Angel

This is one of those kinds of threads that show up once in a while, and usually go round the houses and draw the same conclusions; just has this one has then they faded into the dark of night, from wench they came; all the while people are left wondering, ever wanting to know what is happening behind the scenes: Just like the boy Oliver, forever hungry until one day, he takes his tiny wooden bowl, and rises from his seat form whence he sat and meekly says "Please sir, Can I have some more".

But, there is no more not for him, nor even his kindred kind; for there is know more for them whilst those assigned by the state to care, care not whilst that retch and his kind starve and their betters from a higher class then Oliver and his like kin, though lowly in rank them selves to the true high born, they who'd walk the halls of kings, and influence nations with their wealth; they who'd get others to bend their backs to that task the nameless, forgotten many, whilst history crowns them glorious and they take those honers for them self.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel ;D