Teaser I and II

Started by Dune, October 01, 2009, 11:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Here's a render made this morning. Took quite a while, but probably because of clouds. The foreground is not very good, but the principle is clear.

domdib

This looks very intriguing.

Henry Blewer

The color variation is coming along. With some foreground work this would be a very nice render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

So it seems that you have got instance to instance variation, very cool.
Is it that the instances inside the boundaries of the mask image get a completely new layer on top of the default? I notice some sharp cut-offs on the previews in the other thread, I take it that they are image mask borders.

If you can get this completed within TG2 alone that would be fantastic.

Dune

A new render is busy, trying to get some better foreground. Added some bushes with the same colour variation, but without the snow on higher levels. I can't wait until it's finished. Well, Dandel0, it's not exactly like that. If I tell you (all) that it's an image mask controlled by a camera above the population you might figure it out  ;)
It's actually quite simple (only you have to find it); just an extra surface layer (tried a (add) merge shader, but that didn't behave consistently) in the population colour shader, (invert)blended by the image mask, and coloured by the image mask. The higher you place the camera the more the colours of the mask are spread over the population. Now only someone has to find a way to use PFs only...

I'll be back with a better image soon...

---Dune

dandelO

dandelO

Here is an exceptionally simple way using the painted shader and a default merge shader(I'm glad you mentioned merge up there ;)).

EDIT: Dune, I've PM'd you. I had posted the .tgd here but it's a bit unfair to hijack your thread, sorry. It hadn't been downloaded.

[attachimg=#]

EDIT 2: The above image would have had no alpha channel in each leaf if it was rendered closeup, the transparent portion of each leaf was coloured with the painted shader, great for distance shots, I've worked out the way to return the leaf opacity channel and still have colour variation throughout, though. I needed to use a colour adjust shader (which is too high in this preview) so it returns some of the colour that was removed from the previous shot when the alpha channel was also the secondary colours...

[attachimg=#]

dandelO

I couldn't just edit the last post with this larger preview as filesize was exceeded.
Also, single instances of your choice can be colour varied with these extra couple of basic red-nodes.

[attachimg=#]

Dune

Here's an update on the snowscape, and a screendump of the settings so far (in the next block, as it's too big to upload, apparantly). Why not share this indeed, it has so much potential for all who use populations... Lots to play with again. I prefer making some image maps, as I find the painted shader a bit fickle, but they both work fine, with some tweaking.

If you place your extra camera within the object nodes, it'll serve as a shortcut to the bowels of the tree from the camera. Faster access.

---Dune

Dune

And the screendump...

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for sharing these insights Ulco :)
Am wondering...how does it work when you replace the painted shader by a b/w powerfractal?

Dune

Doesn't work. Both colors are mixed to a... well.. mixed color, and added to all leaves. I also tried to make a brightly colored surface shader in the shader group first, checking the color variation on ground under the tree pop, then detach it from the planet, and use it as color and/or blendshader within the tree. To no avail... if anyone can get that to work, that would be the ultimate answer.

Although I think it won't be too hard for the Planetside wizzmen to implement some readymade population variation color method in the software... given their impressive piece of software.

---Dune

Dune

Another thing you can do...

Dune

The basic setup.

Dune

Height control; either from here, or blend by a shader from the shader section... any improvements are welcome. This is just simple grass, by the way, no alpha stuff.