Teaser I and II

Started by Dune, October 01, 2009, 11:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

I think the blue leaves are my favorites!  ::)
This is a cool process you have come up with. I think it would be easier using different populations, but that would take all the fun of discovery out of this. Thanks for sharing this!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Walli

I think different populations just to get color variations is way overkill. So until the process of getting variations gets more comfortable, this is a very nice approach.

choronr

A prime project for a 'Dune/dandelO' comprehensive, step-by-step tutorial sometime in the future?

Oshyan

I think the reason this works and Powerfractals don't is due to the way power fractal coordinates are handled. With the Image Map, you are specifying an absolute relationship between the objects and the texture being applied. With a Powerfractal it's all procedural and so it depends on the mapping (world space vs. object space for example).

Nice work.

- Oshyan

dandelO

Of course, you can blend the painted shader(shown here), or image map, by a fractal itself, giving fractal coverage of the secondary colours over the entire population. Set the imagemap/paint shader as a child to a surface layer(apply colour = unchecked) and use a fractal blender on that.

You also have the slope/altitude constraints from the surface layer to play with...

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

.tgd requires Mr_L's 'Bush_01a.tgo', but will work in any other object with the same setup
[attachimg=#]

Tangled-Universe

I was thinking the exact same when reading Oshyan's comment, but you put it in better words/pictures as I could do :)
Lot's of people will like this setup!

Cheers,
Martin

reck

This is really nice and makes the populations much more realistic....but.. Would it be possible for planetside to build this sort of option in to the population controls directly? It seems like something that everyone would want to use for every population, after all this looks a lot more realistic than just having the same shade green for everything so it seems an ideal option to have built in without having to use this clever work around.

Walli

I am sure this is on a list already

Dune

reck

Ah that's good to hear.

Good to know someone has seen "the list" Dune  ;D

Dune

It hearsay... or how you'd call that.

Oshyan

I can confirm it is on some sort of list. ;)

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Quote from: Oshyan on October 14, 2009, 11:51:00 PM
I can confirm it is on some sort of list. ;)

- Oshyan
"Some sort", which means it's mentioned somewhre on the forums. That's some sort of list too...  :P
Just kidding.
It would be nice to see this implemented.
Any idea when there would be a new update?
Howgh!

Oshyan

We're sorting out some fixes internally, then some more testing, and then release. No date obviously, but it's closer than it has yet been. ;)

- Oshyan

littlecannon

Quote from: Dune on October 10, 2009, 07:19:28 AM
The basic setup.

My simple mind is having trouble understanding this.... any help would be good. Dune your setup looks nice and simple, but the internal network of the grass I am using (Mr Lampost's) looks different and is confusing me. Screenshot attached. any chance of a walkthrough that simple people like me could understand?

Cheers,
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...