Problems with New NWDA Default scene

Started by DanielHruby, October 07, 2009, 07:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

This is a different file than the images you've posted, the camera is pointing in the default direction :)
Can you post the altered file, thanks.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

neuspadrin

Quote from: cyphyr on October 08, 2009, 07:03:05 PM
This is a different file than the images you've posted, the camera is pointing in the default direction :)
Can you post the altered file, thanks.
Richard

Hes zoomed in on the mountains that are right near the camera.  I was able to get close to the camera angle he used very easily.

cyphyr

That's not why I wanted the file, I'd like to see the exact settings that create the fault, its just that there may be some hidden element that is not obvious from visually recreating the image.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

neuspadrin

Quote from: cyphyr on October 08, 2009, 07:06:58 PM
That's not why I wanted the file, I'd like to see the exact settings that create the fault, its just that there may be some hidden element that is not obvious from visually recreating the image.
Richard

yeh but consistently being able to alway have issues? i think its more of a hardware issue, especially since hes using an 8 core 11gb ram machine.

cyphyr

Over speced your thinking? maybe, I'd have thought it was a very capable set up but he could be running into memory leaks or something I guess. Try running on less cores maybe or I wonder if theres a way to limit the ram somehow. I'm still leaning  to a bug in the specifiv position/node setup he's used however.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

DanielHruby

link works here.  right click and download linked file.

Cyphyr,

It doesn't matter where I put the camera.  And I have tried several locations to recreate the problem.  I even got the black render today using the low quality tiny render.  And this is happening on two separate machines. So I doubt a hardware fault.  More likely a bug of some sort.  For example, I dont have this issue when I dont use the NWDA file.  I will try to limit threads to 1 / 8.

DanielHruby

Just tried more tests again from the default file on Mac.  Results are as follows:

1. Without moving the camera AT ALL, and ONLY CHANGING output size to 1500 in the Full Render.  I can successfully render a 1500 pixel wide image.  No changes to threads or ANYTHING else.  

2. I option drag to ROTATE camera to hill.  I don't think this causes the camera to move it's position.  Renders fine at 1500 pixels.

3. I move the camera a couple feet to the left and render.  BLACK rendering.

4.  Close file open again, repeat step 2.  Another Black rendering.

5. I tried renders using 1/8 and 1/4 for the threads setting.  All rendered black.

6.  Go home.

neuspadrin

save the file somewhere else when you get a black render then, and upload that one.

cyphyr

Since the camera is fairly high up would it be useful to delete/deactivate the smallest scale Terrain Power Fractal, ... maybe :)?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

cyphyr

Quote from: DanielHruby on October 08, 2009, 07:57:50 PM

3. I move the camera a couple feet to the left and render.  BLACK rendering.

Successfully rendered at default plus 1500 width default render with a move "of a few feet to the left"  :-\
Really need a (non)functioning sample to check further ... .. .
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

jaf

Will clouds act the same way as terrain does when the camera is inside?  I notice the cumulus layer 01 is at 1863 with a depth of 650 and the camera at 1500.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

DanielHruby

I opened this file again at home on another MacPro.  I tried to turn off all the cloud layers, and I still get black output depending on the resolution.  I'd post more images, but .Mac is down at the moment.  I will try in the morning before I leave for work.

I still have no problems rendering a larger generic scene from TG2.  I think there is something with this NWDA file that is causing me issues.  Perhaps someone else can try on a MacPro.

inkydigit

I have this file at home and am using a 24" iMac, I will have a look at this later to see if I can see anything?

jo

Hi,

Frank has sent me the file and I'll try it out on my Mac Pro.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi again,

I gave it a spin on my Mac Pro at 1500 pixels wide. If I use 16 threads it goes black at the end of the render. If I use 8 threads it renders fine. Right now I would suggest not using more than 8 threads anyway. When I get a chance I'll have a better looking into why it goes black, but I suspect it's running out of memory due to the big chunk allocated for the render caches, which by default is 800 MB for 16 threads.

Regards,

Jo