The Best Win-7 Pro 64 (simple advice I can offer)

Started by matrix2003, October 08, 2009, 07:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogre

"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

neuspadrin

matrix2003

-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

matrix2003

Good Luck with the D/L .  If I could post it here I would,  -  Bill .

Ogre

"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

neuspadrin

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

neuspadrin

I never "upgrade".  I always do a fresh install.  Nice to have a clean slate.

As for upgrades and time, I hear it wildly depends on various software/hardware, so yes some take like 30 min(about the same time it takes to do an install), some take hours.

as for price.... more like they realize people will pay to not deal with vista ;) also by semi forcing upgrades, it helps the user experience so that some idiot doesn't try to install 7 on bare bare bare minimums becuase "xp ran fine" for the user yet "7 is so slooow" ... kinda what happened with vista with hardware not really matching software issues.  Decent computers are pretty cheap, people should upgrade more often.

Then again, I got a free copy of enterprise edition and I can get another for 30 bucks.  I also got Vista Ultimate for 5 dollars (media fee), Vista enterprise (free), a few versions of xp... etc ;)

I love being a student.  I'm gonna miss having the software and os upgrades i need just there for me to download or grab from the software distribution.

Kadri

Quote from: neuspadrin on October 27, 2009, 07:29:14 PM

... Decent computers are pretty cheap, people should upgrade more often...

I don't know how old you are Neuspadrin . But 10 years or so latter remember your words when you have a wife , children and mortgage and such  ;D

Be happy that you are a student...

Cheers.

Kadri.

neuspadrin

Quote from: Kadri on October 27, 2009, 07:51:34 PM
Quote from: neuspadrin on October 27, 2009, 07:29:14 PM

... Decent computers are pretty cheap, people should upgrade more often...

I don't know how old you are Neuspadrin . But 10 years or so latter remember your words when you have a wife , children and mortgage and such  ;D

21 ;) Currently co-oping with IBM.  So yes I do have the glory of being a student, making decent money, and not having to worry too much about family/house/etc.  I do have to worry a little about college, but thats mostly paid for.  But I am saving up a lot of money as is right now for once I do graduate as I do plan on having a family shortly after (been dating girlfriend for 3+ years now and currently live together).

What I'm talking about though is at least upgrade every 5 or so years if you use a compute semi frequently.  I do a lot of computer repair for people and sometimes it just surprises me what os's they try to run on what hardware.

And by upgrade, I'm not talking go buy a 1000+ dollar computer (unless you got the cash)... I'm takling more <=500ish range.  That would be $100/year.  You could easily prob buy a machine that could run win7, any office stuff, multitask fairly well, play semi recent games, etc for around that price currently.  But I know people who buy like a cheap machine and expect it to last forever with 0 updating (while still wanting the latest software to work).

But then again, for me a computer is worth more, as I'm a CS major who likes gaming and spend basically my entire day in front of one or another pc, might as well have one thats decent (as i get my moneys worth from it).  I turn old machines into media pc or try to find some use for them (like my current one, which is a 5 year old dell laptop with xp media edition on it, that i use to record tv and to play hulu/netflix off my tv).

I guess it really comes down to everyones "what its worth" to keep up to date, which for me is quite high between my programming, high end gaming, and rendering ;).

matrix2003

Well Bill Gates and IBM used to tag team the market just to drive up sales!  Why sell an OS when you can sell a PC with an OS.  WIN WIN boys. (light cigar here)
As far as upgrading your PC goes, this again is a matter of perception.  I have been doing this since the Commodore 64/TRS80 days. Does anyone remember what a 486 cost?  Do you remember what a memory upgrade chip cost? I have a stack of old relics that cost me hundreds- a piece!  These new toys cost as much as a couple of good electric razors!  Updrade costs are chump change these days.  I have a beautiful 17 inch viewsonic high end monitor in the basement collecting dust.  It cost me $400.00.  The 22 inch monitor I am staring at now was free with my Dell purchase.  PC's and associated hardware have never been cheaper. Buy a new one, turn the older one into a media center/juke box like neuspadrin said!
   - Bill .

Henry Blewer

I remember! I wrote my first program using punch cards. The only upgrade I am thinking about on my Dell is a new video card. The second card burned out. Now I'm using the card that came with the computer. Everything is maxed out. My computer may be five years old, but it still does pretty well, unless I set the AA render setting over 5. ;D
It is time for a new box. I may go for an inexpensive desktop. Then buy components to improve it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBlackHole

Quote from: matrix2003 on October 28, 2009, 07:46:49 AM
Well Bill Gates and IBM used to tag team the market just to drive up sales!  Why sell an OS when you can sell a PC with an OS.  WIN WIN boys. (light cigar here)
As far as upgrading your PC goes, this again is a matter of perception.  I have been doing this since the Commodore 64/TRS80 days. Does anyone remember what a 486 cost?  Do you remember what a memory upgrade chip cost? I have a stack of old relics that cost me hundreds- a piece!  These new toys cost as much as a couple of good electric razors!  Updrade costs are chump change these days.  I have a beautiful 17 inch viewsonic high end monitor in the basement collecting dust.  It cost me $400.00.  The 22 inch monitor I am staring at now was free with my Dell purchase.  PC's and associated hardware have never been cheaper. Buy a new one, turn the older one into a media center/juke box like neuspadrin said!
   - Bill .

You mean WIN PC?  :D
Quote from: njeneb on October 28, 2009, 08:17:09 AM
I remember! I wrote my first program using punch cards. The only upgrade I am thinking about on my Dell is a new video card. The second card burned out. Now I'm using the card that came with the computer. Everything is maxed out. My computer may be five years old, but it still does pretty well, unless I set the AA render setting over 5. ;D
It is time for a new box. I may go for an inexpensive desktop. Then buy components to improve it.
PUNCH CARDS?!?!?!!! How many years ago was that?!
I can play a game from 2001 pretty good. Far Gate
http://www.superxstudios.com/
There's this weird glitch here in the forums: If you write a long enough post, it scrolls up and down while you're trying to type it.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Kadri

I think i saw a 386 pc in 1987 ( not sure) in a big company . I could affort it only in circa 1993 and that upgrade from 286 was because of Doom.
But the first i really used was this in the picture http://www.solarnavigator.net/sponsorship/alan_sugar.htm  (in 1987) .  No Hd , no ekstra case .That what you see is all .... But how i loved it  ;D

Are there anyone who used this? SG (StarGlider) and such games with it ?

But punch cards ...had not the chance  to use  ;D

Kadri.

Henry Blewer

It was 1980 on a 1977 DEC. I forgot the model. There was a hand held input tablet with holes in it's face. You used a hand sized poker to bust tabs out of a punch card. (Little rectangular 'chads' would leak out, causing frequent vacuuming.) Each row was a byte. There were sixteen rows.
I wrote a guess the number game. My Dad was pissed when he came back from a meeting and found two rolls of paper tape had been used to play it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T