The Best Win-7 Pro 64 (simple advice I can offer)

Started by matrix2003, October 08, 2009, 07:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrix2003

Quote from: Kadri on October 28, 2009, 03:20:05 PM
I think i saw a 386 pc in 1987 ( not sure) in a big company . I could affort it only in circa 1993 and that upgrade from 286 was because of Doom. Kadri.

I played Doom and used various fractal programs until I discovered these people in 1997. Have not really been a gamer since DOOM.
So for me I guess PLANETSIDE conquered DOOM.  (needs to be said in that announcer guys voice, from the movies)   :P
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Zairyn Arsyn

i have either a 486 or a 386 sitting in the bottom of my closet, that was my first computer with windows OS.

I don't think I've ever came across punch cards before.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kadri

Quote from: matrix2003 on October 28, 2009, 06:03:04 PM
I think i saw a 386 pc in 1987 ( not sure) in a big company . I could affort it only in circa 1993 and that upgrade from 286 was because of Doom. Kadri.
...So for me I guess PLANETSIDE conquered DOOM.  (needs to be said in that announcer guys voice, from the movies)   :P

In a way for me my main upgrade reasons was games and 3d program render time concerns. But now it is mainly  only render times.
Pc games are not so rapid evolving as at that times...Consoles everywhere. Intel has seen the writing on the wall...they must make a market for they  cpus .
Office programs and such don't need that much power of 20-30 cores  ;D
Because of this , they are tackling (?) with software renders (ray tracing) on new intel cpus and such(with intel hardware support)...
People like we in 3D  have nothing too worry in general , this kind of programs are multithreaded most of the time...
But they too must cope with the ongoing trend with many many cores in the future.
I have a feeling people like Matt have nightmares sometimes what to do about this....long story...Most of you know this..

Zaai999 does it still  run  ;D ?

Kadri.

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: Kadri on October 28, 2009, 06:32:45 PM
Quote from: matrix2003 on October 28, 2009, 06:03:04 PM
...So for me I guess PLANETSIDE conquered DOOM.  (needs to be said in that announcer guys voice, from the movies)   :P

In a way for me my main upgrade reasons was games and 3d program render time concerns. But now it is mainly  only render times.
Pc games are not so rapid evolving as at that times...Consoles everywhere. Intel has seen the writing on the wall...they must make a market for they  cpus .
Office programs and such don't need that much power of 20-30 cores  ;D
Because of this , they are tackling (?) with software renders (ray tracing) on new intel cpus and such(with intel hardware support)...
People like we in 3D  have nothing too worry in general , this kind of programs are multithreaded most of the time...
But they too must cope with the ongoing trend with many many cores in the future.
I have a feeling people like Matt have nightmares sometimes what to do about this....long story...Most of you know this..

Zaai999 does it still  run  ;D ?

Kadri.
woahh....., i must have missed this - should have notified myself

yes, if i had a compatible monitor, a serial mouse, and serial keyboard it probadly would work :)
but i'm not 100% certain

i did some of my first digital artwork on that 486 - made with MS paint, corel draw, etc, etc, i'd like to see them again if i could.

i remember the last game i was playing on it... Descent II, man i love that game, i still play it sometimes.

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W

FrankB

if anyone's still interesting in getting back to the topic ... ahem.

So I installed Win 7 on my i7 two days ago. Everything went fine, TG2 runs fine as well.
However, after a while of inactivity the beast was blue-screening at me :-(

I figured that Win 7 wanted to reduce the core power to a meagre 5%, which eventually let my pc freeze. I have disabled all energy saving options and since then no blue screens no more. 

Cheers,
Frank

Zairyn Arsyn

i should be getting windows 7 pretty soon... looking forward to it, :)
thanks for the advice Frank, i'll keep that in mind.

neuspadrin

Quote from: FrankB on November 30, 2009, 03:58:37 PM

I figured that Win 7 wanted to reduce the core power to a meagre 5%, which eventually let my pc freeze. I have disabled all energy saving options and since then no blue screens no more. 

it a dell by any chance?
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/11/30/1818207/Dell-Defect-Turning-22GHz-CPU-Into-100MHz-CPU

Henry Blewer

The power option for the CPU on a desktop is not a good idea. Desktop CPU's are designed to run at full power. They need a fair amount of heat at all times, or the sudden temperature changes can make them unstable.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

Quote from: neuspadrin on November 30, 2009, 10:27:00 PM
Quote from: FrankB on November 30, 2009, 03:58:37 PM

it a dell by any chance?
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/11/30/1818207/Dell-Defect-Turning-22GHz-CPU-Into-100MHz-CPU

nooooo, I build all my PC's from custom specs. Always. Where's the fun in just buying one? ;D

neuspadrin

ah just checking saw that and just remembered your 5% too. 

And agreed, building is awayyy better ;)

FrankB

again something on win 7.

For the first time ever I find creating a home network (pc's accessing one another) really easy to do. Not quite as simple as with macs, but close. You don't need to know anything about networks to create one.
I've got 2 pc's in the house with win7 running. One carries my photos and music, and recorded tv. Now when I open windows media player on the other pc, I can simply start any of these media from there, while the other pc is serving the data. It's all pretty nicely integrated.

I also have the new media center running that comes with win7 (on the home theatre pc), which also works really well, just out of the box. It records in nice quality and has a lot of eye candy, too. I like it.

Regards
Frank

cyphyr

Has anyone managed to do an upgrade from Vista ultimate 64 bit. Its asking for a clean install and I really don't want to do that. Will I effectively have to reinstall ALL my programs? Doing it once or twice I don't mind but I must have 20 to 30 different apps that will need hunting down again. Mostly on DVD's so I hope to gods they're not scratched!
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

neuspadrin

Yep clean install is a fresh one that you gotta reinstall everything.  Personally I always do that as easy way to clean up all the stuff i dont care for anymore ;)

Oh, and if you have adobe products make sure you deactivate them to make life easier.

cyphyr

Oh well, it'll have to wait then till I can get a spare HD and install onto that.
Cheers
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)