Compute Normal.

Started by BPauba, February 11, 2007, 11:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPauba

I have been trying to figure out how to limit strata with a [surface layer] or [Distribution shader] node above the [compute terrain] node for awhile now. I think I have come up with the correct way to do it, but the only thing limiting me is my understanding of the [compute normal] node. For some reason the compute terrain distorts the terrain geometry. For example....

Default terrain:

Compute Normal-No Strata:

Compute Normal-Strata (100):

Compute Normal-Strata (250):

Compute Normal-Strata (500):

Node Network:

The variable changed was the [compute normal] nodes "patch size".[100, 250, 500]
I do not understand what the patch size is nor do I understand why the compute normal node distorts the terrain so much. Anyone have any knowledge of this matter?

buzzzzz

There's another Thread here somewhere about this but I can't find it. Anyway I remember how they did it. In reference to your node pic replace surface layer 03 with a Distribution Shader then attach the Strata and Outcrops Shader to the Distribution Shader as a child layer. Then you can control the Strata distribution through the Distribution shader.

Hope this helps

Tangled-Universe

Yep, that's how I did it too once...
Anyway, it's a good question though Brian, I also like to know more about the compute normal and normal terrain functions.
Especially when to use them en when not.

At the moment when I create a terrain, using a heightfield load for example, I attach the first compute terrain. Then I'm displacing the terrain with some surface layers and strata/outcrops, followed by another compute terrain.
After that I'm connectig the surface shaders and when they're all finished I also connect a compute terrain which is then connected to the planet01 shader.

Probably terribly wrong all, but I believe wihout all te compute terrains the displacements aren't accurate and sometimes aren't even working.
Can't tell why, don't know haha  :)

So a little explanation on this matter would indeed be very very useful  ;D

Martin

BPauba

Hmm, interesting. I am almost positive I tried this combination and it did not show any strata results, but I shall try again! Talk to you guys soon, and thankyou

Will

neat I've been wondering about this thanks for confirming my thoughts.

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.