tgo plants

Started by ozijon, February 12, 2007, 09:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

The update will fix almost all obj stuff, and so they will be able to be imported without crashing.  I'm actually working on a project to convert all of the XFrog free trees to tgo objects, and I'm just waiting for the XFrog guy to tell me I can share them on the 'net so that I don't violate copyright.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

helentr

Quote from: moodflow on February 14, 2007, 11:31:30 PM
I think I have it working now.   I did a cold boot on my machine.

However, I downloaded that huge pack of free trees from X-Frog, but I am unable to get them into wings 3D.  It simply locks up.  I've left it there for 15 minutes with no luck. 

Has anyone gotten these trees successfully converted to TG2 specs?

I have managed most up to about 50 Mb (OBJ size) - the larger ones take more than 30 minutes and/or kill Wings3D (CPU drops to 0%), but then I have only 1 Gb of memory and an old processor. Still, it may be a weakness of Wings3D with very high poly models. Have you used my tutorial? http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=575.msg4880#msg4880

Helen

Aenea

Hi there!

I also tried several things with the old xfrog obj. And I also used your tut Helen, but I wasn´t 100% successful. Just let me tell you what I did...

I imported the purple leaved plum (prunus cersifera nigra) obj into wings3d.
Then I followed the instructions in the tutorial.
I selected the trunk, the leaves, and strangely you were able to select two different types of branches too.
I saved them as new material and assigned a color.
Then I saved everything as new obj.

I got the obj and the mtl file and tried to import it into Terragen, what worked without problems.
I figured out that the mtl-file hadn´t the textures included, meaning, the saved images of trunk and leaves. I changed the png and rgb files into jpg files and put them into the same folder as the obj and mtl file. After I added the location of the image-files to the mtl-file, they all loaded in Terragen without problems, I found them all in the multishader.
So far so good.

I got a tree after the first render, but what I got wasn´t much satisfying. Somehow the leaves were green, they should be plum-colored like the image file of the leaves. Well, as well I couldn´t see any leaf-texture on the leaves. They were leave-shaped but had a bright-green colour - and now comes the clou. In the middle of the bright-green shapes leaves, there are smaller, dark-green leaves with texture.... ??? At least there is some texture, but again in the wrong colour...and why do they have this strange bright-green border (also leaf-shaped, but no text). It´a real riddle to me. Whatever I did with the image files, and the alhpa-image files...nothing seem to work.
The trunk as well is very square-cut and there´s also not the right texture on it.

I don´t have any clue where the problem is....maybe someone has some idea what else I can try to get a natural looking tree?
Maybe I did something wrong in the wings3d program? I´m not sure...cause when I added the colour in the program it seemed to keep exact this colour in Terragen...and I wasn´t able to change that (as pointed out above).
Maybe, when I´m home, I can add a picture so you can see more clearly what I was referring to...it´s always difficult to describe such things....a picture often says more than thousand words.

Maybe you have to add the right textures in 3dwings?
And what else wondered me a bit, when I changed the images, first the png: I followed again the instructions and in the end the leaf was white (only the shape remained) and then the background was all black. I saved it as jpg and was done. With the rgb file it was more difficult, because there wasn´t only the leaf, there was some strange texture in the background. I considered that to be the alpha-channel picture, cause when I finally succeeded in changing it the same way like the png, and wanted to save it as jpg, the program said that with saving the alpha-channel will be lost.
I also saved the original pictures as jpg and with the rgb it was again the same: the alpha-channel will be lost.
So I´m not sure if this has something to do with it. Any suggestions about that?

Hell, I hope I´m someday able to get these things right.....
Thanks in advance for ANY help on that...I´m really at a loss at the moment....

Aenea

helentr

Hi Aenea,

From the description you are giving, it seems like there is a problem with opacity.
As I am in the middle of a render right now, I can't test the tree you mention.
I would go to the multi shader for the tree, then the default shader for the leaf (or straight from the nodes: right click on the population/or object and go to the internal network). Then on the default shader, in the colour tab, choose the colour image and on the opacity tab the "-a" image. In the image projection I would leave the default "object UV". Then save as TGO and load that, as some OBJ files crash Terragen in the middle of rendering.
Do the images below work?

Helen

Aenea

wonderful Helen!

The leaves look somehow different then those I used till now...
I will try everything this evening and let you know...

thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aenea

moodflow

I have managed most up to about 50 Mb (OBJ size) - the larger ones take more than 30 minutes and/or kill Wings3D (CPU drops to 0%), but then I have only 1 Gb of memory and an old processor. Still, it may be a weakness of Wings3D with very high poly models. Have you used my tutorial? http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=575.msg4880#msg4880

Helen
[/quote]

Hi Helen,

Yes I did read your tutorial, but have yet to give it an official try.  With the multiple steps involved, I know it will take some practice to get it right.  Hopefully TG2 will be able to seamlessly import the xfrog trees (and other 3d model styles), including their translucency, texturemaps, and other values.  For example, the xfrog trees rendered in Vue look amazing.  But Vue's interface is not near as powerful as TG2 in my opinion.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Aenea

Hi Helen!

I add this picture:

it´s even the same with your leaves...

I added the normal leaf file in the color section and the _a_file in the opacity section....it´s still the same...
I just add the mtl file, and the tgd where I tried to get this tree work....

Quote# Exported from Wings 3D 0.98.32a
newmtl asts
Ns 100.000
d 1.00000
illum 2
Kd 0.253333 1.33333e-2 1.33333e-2
Ka 1.00000 1.00000 1.00000
Ks 1.00000 1.00000 1.00000
Ke 0.00000e+0 0.00000e+0 0.00000e+0
map_Kd prunus_cerasifera_nigra_bark.jpg

newmtl leaf
Ns 100.000
d 1.00000
illum 2
Kd 0.313333 1.00000 0.113333
map_Kd prunus_cerasifera_nigra_leaf.jpg

newmtl small asts
Ns 100.000
d 1.00000
illum 2
Kd 0.260000 7.33333e-2 7.33333e-2

newmtl smallest asts
Ns 100.000
d 1.00000
illum 2
Kd 0.246667 3.33333e-2 3.33333e-2

newmtl trunk
Ns 100.000
d 1.00000
illum 2
Kd 0.433333 0.00000e+0 0.00000e+0

Costaud

I have posted a mapletree I have made with Blender at designpaths.com forum here the link http://www.designpaths.com/forums/thread.php?threadid=35&sid=  try it it's a gift.

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Aenea

thanks for sharing.... ;D

Reagarding my case....
I found out that I even have problems with the new xfrog plants....

It´s horrible, Í don´t get those textures to work....my plants all look as if only painted with normal colors.
I tried nearly everything. Maybe someone could post a tgd with a working tree???
A new xfrog and an old one?

Maybe so I can find out where the problem is?
That would be really really kind....
It´s at the moment a looking for a needle in a haysack.  :'( :'( :'(

Aenea

helentr

Quote from: Aenea on February 16, 2007, 02:50:55 AM
thanks for sharing.... ;D

Reagarding my case....
I found out that I even have problems with the new xfrog plants....

It´s horrible, Í don´t get those textures to work....my plants all look as if only painted with normal colors.
I tried nearly everything. Maybe someone could post a tgd with a working tree???
A new xfrog and an old one?

Maybe so I can find out where the problem is?
That would be really really kind....
It´s at the moment a looking for a needle in a haysack.  :'( :'( :'(

Aenea

Well, regarding your case ....
(Sorry for the delay, but the 36 hour render finished at last).
The TGD you posted has nothing wrong with it. The tree I have exported from Wings3D renders normally, as far as the textures go. Only problem, it looks huge; yours is tiny - you need to scale it to 100 to see it - did you scale it down in Wings3D?
The MTL file looks normal AFAIK, apart from the different choice of colors and high reflectivity and ambient light settings, which would make for a very bright and shiny tree. I usually turn ambient below the middle values and reflectivity to 0.
But these don't explain the appearance of the leafs.
If you want, I can send you the files in a ZIP by email (it is about 4.5 Mb, would make a 6 to 7 Mb email), so that you can compare the two and find the problem. Write to me at "helentr AT gmail.com" (remove the spaces and replace AT with @) with an email address that can accept large attachments.
BTW, this is how the tree looks to me.

Helen

Aenea

Thanks for the reply Helen.

*lol* I just sent you an pm regarding that....
The second pm includes also my email....
Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aenea

moodflow

Would anyone mind trading a few foliage files that are already TG2 ready?  I can recieve large emails if needed.  I can also trade back.  I have tons of tileable textures I've made over the past few years, and most are high res.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Aenea

Thanks again for all the help-especially to you Helen!

I finally got it. The trees look like trees now---well, I still have the strange problem with the colours (send you an email about that Helen), but I tried everything with the normal new xfrog-files and now my birch looks like a birch.
Even the plum tree looks like a realistic tree now, although the colors are not correct, but I think we´ll figure that out soon....

So, I will sit down and write a tutorial, me thinks that there is surely some need. Be back with that asap.

So thanks again for all the help!

Aenea

Will

Good I'm glad everything is fixed, there is certinally a need for as meany tutreails as we can get since there is a constant amount of new users coming to terrage.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.