Bend in the River

Started by EoinArmstrong, December 20, 2009, 09:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EoinArmstrong

Look, Ma - no crashes!

Loving the new patch to bits - well done Planetside!

Henry Blewer

Nice render. I would add just a little more wave to the river, with a lot of wind patch effect. The wind patch effect will leave some nice areas for reflections.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Linda McCarthy

Beautiful work, Eoin!  Perspective, varied populations, colors, atmosphere- all very nice.  Linda

Kadri

EoinArmstrong , this is a lovely render  :)

I thing the sky is a little to much saturated and with little more playing with the cloud setting this can be a very great image.

Cheers.

Kadri.

domdib

Fantastic river - very realistic water.

Malcolm79

Good composition of artwork! Realistic render. Great work!

ndeewolfwood

i like the mood in this one..
the water is fine to me...it looks loamy.

My only comment : some bush at the left part looks like downsized tree.

Tangled-Universe

Fresh work here Eoin! I like the water, nice wavescales and color. You could indeed increase the wind-patch strength, but be careful with the patch sharpness. Also, I don't think you should make the water rougher, I like its tranquility.
On the right side of the image I miss some groundcover like some smaller bushes, rocks (fake stones) and grasses. Maybe if you slightly decrease the scales of all the populations, by say 20%, the background mountain is a bit more exposed and might also get a more dramatic sense of scale and depth. Regarding depth: the blue haze works well here, but might be a tad too strong.
I think this one would also look great in a more cinematic aspect ratio, but I must say this looks/works fine here as well.
The pov, populations, clouds and mountain are looking good so far.

In overall very pleasant work, keep it up!

Cheers,
Martin

inkydigit

very nice Eoin, agree with Martin

choronr

It is good to see you here Eoin; and, with the style you haven't lost. The image is superb with great colors and a mood of peacefulness.

Hannes

Great work! The only thing that doesn't really fit is the colour of the sky. For my taste it's way too much turquoise (is that correct? I think you know what I mean.)

EoinArmstrong

Thanks for the crits all - yeah there are a few things:

- sky too blue (I desaturated using a coloured gradient in Photoshop in post-pro subsequently - it looks a little better, but prob not good enough to post)
- atmo needs more haze to lend distance to the mountains
- you can see the mountains through the last layer of trees in the b/g and there's nothing in between (duh!);
- most hilariously, I didn't correctly place the weeping willow on the right on the ground - you can see its XFrog roots!

Ah well - onwards and upwards!

GioMez

Very inspiring  :)
I also suggest to turn on soft shadows! The ones projected on the surface of the river (I really like them!) might benefit...

Edit: maybe shadows are already soften at a more accurate sight, but I'd try to increase the radius

wittgenstein

Very nice picture. The river has a realistic colour-scheme.
I am curious to know what settings you used for eroding the high mountain in the background?

EoinArmstrong

The background mountains were an outsized T2 generated heightfield using alpine noise as the basis.  I think I've posted the correct tgd file...