Peaceful Valley

Started by Markal, December 24, 2009, 12:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markal

Comments, critiques, tips and suggestions will help me learn this wonderful program faster...
My 2049 Peaceful Valley terrain is available at the Ashunder community....www.terragen.org
Thanks
Mark

Henry Blewer

I would make the strong vertical areas less so. The strata shader will take care of the layering and make the vertical areas. By doing this, you don't get the long vertical faces seen in the tall tower rock, and allows for more consistent displacements.

Other than that, this is really an interesting image. I really like what you have done here.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Linda McCarthy

Those clouds are wonderful, as is the perspective!  Love the rock work and stream, and the lighting is great. Yes.. "Peaceful" and beautiful.  Another inspiring and very impressive render, Mark.  Linda

Tangled-Universe

Nice image Mark :)
I like the displacements as they are. I was thinking you might try to add a(n extra) strata shader to give some nice layering effects.

Maybe you can try settings similar to these:
steepness : build up ~   1 : 1.5
depth : spacing       ~   1.25 : 2
If you then create 2 strata shaders with slightly different tilt directions and angles (20 deg differences for example) and then mix them you can get really cool results. Instead of mixing you can also break one up using a high contrast powerfractal and invert that breakup for the other strata shader.

Furthermore I like the use of large fake stones. Perhaps in the future you can try to add some extra displacements and texturing to them to make them look a bit more different from the overall terrain colors.

I think your work is really improving fast, looking forward to see your next, it's a joy :)

Cheers,
Martin

Dune

I like this image very much. It's interesting and varied, lots to see. The large boulders at the river's edge are fantastic, gives it a South African feel, somehow. Only crits are that I would reduce the size of the large trees to 1/4 or so, to be more consistent with the other small trees. They should be small (like the forest on the right) to give the sense of vastness of the scene. The fallen tree and the trees on the left bank and near the mountains are way too big. And I would calm the river, perhaps only increase the patchiness a bit. By the way, the cloud is great!

I'd like to see where this ends.

---Dune   

schmeerlap

This render shows excellent progress.
I understand what Henry is referring to. Sheer vertical faces rendered in TG 0.9xx often leaves long vertical streaks, and that can easily be broken up (if desired) by use of the Strata & Outcrops shader as Martin advised. Another way of effecting horizontal gouging or strata (to break up unwanted vertical streaking in the heightfield) on towers such as you have in your scene is by way of a greyscale image map used as negative displacement and set to a cylindrical projection.
Looking forward to more.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

mhaze

This has a great feel. Don't worry too much about the vertical displacements, they remind me of the devils tower in colorado.

Mick

EoinArmstrong

Great lighting and object placement - I like the terrain too - but the scale of the plants is a little off.  Love those clouds, btw :)