Dense City Shader...

Started by dandelO, October 30, 2009, 10:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

Clever work! It reminds me a little of a shader that Volker put together at some point.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dandelO

Yes, I've seen Volker's city attempts with perlin functions... Ridiculously too complicated for such a small brained one as me! ;)

I'm clearly not the first one to have made displacement buildings, it's actually quite common.
It's the way you incorporate them into a scene that will make the most impact. These would look really, really ugly in daylight and up close.
In this dimly lit setting though, I fancy I can even see streets and traffic and such! :D

Dune

Very interesting. The FSS as a displacement input was exactly the way I used to make some ice floats. The problem was the jagged sides. Thinking aloud, perhaps a population of small planes could be used as a displacement input... then projecting an image map at the X or Z. Or some functions creating random squares and rectangles, but I am hopeless at functions.

---Dune

j meyer

Seems to be a good approach to use the FSS like that!
Got to play with that as soon as possible. ;)Thanks.

Mr_Lamppost

I had a couple of goes at displaced cities a while back but was never happy with the results in close up.  From your comments I guess you are having similar problems with the vertical sides.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

TheBlackHole

That small planet woud fit perfectly in Super Mario Galaxy.  :D
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?