Help with image map displacement....

Started by acolyte, October 31, 2009, 03:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acolyte

Hello all. I'm very happy to be on the forums now. I just recently got Terragen 2 Deep and I'm attempting what a lot of people seem to be attempting, at least in my search through the forums, creating a procedural moon surface. :) I've come up with a pretty convincing surface so far, but like most others here, my issue involves how to simulate multiple hundreds of thousands of small craters on the surface of the moon.

1. Is there a way to do this procedurally? Like plugging in the crater shader into some sort of setup which would randomly place instances of it across the entire surface of the procedural planet?

2. If I can't do this procedurally, what is the best way to setup a shader so that I can plug a sort of heightmap image into Terragen 2 which will displace on top of my already built procedural surface?

3. I have both Blender and Maya, and i'm a 3d modeler. Is there a way to sculpt a surface in one of these programs and export it back to terragen 2 while not completely overriding my procedural terrain?

I've searched the forums for a while now, but there's so many options in the shaders that I'm a little overwhelmed right now. And until the node reference manual is released my confidence in my own tinkering abilities continues to wane as I struggle to pull this off on my own. Anyways, thanks for any help you guys can give me. I've included my terragen file and a sample screenshot of my progress so far.

acolyte

Awww...don't be shy now guys. Surely someone knows how to help me with my tiny displacement problem.  ;D

Oshyan

Yes, Volker seems to have basically solved this problem. I suggest you bug him for an update. ;)

- Oshyan

acolyte

Ok, so he seems to have gotten pretty far on this, but no link to a file or how he managed to do it that I can see. I'm sorry, i'm very new to this new version of Terragen and it seems kind of complicated to know what I need to do and how I need to have things arranged to get this done. Does anyone know if there's a plan to release an update which will make this easier?

Oshyan

There is no "populate craters" function planned. But as Volker has shown, it's possible to do this using procedural functions already included in TG2. Hopefully he will see the update to that thread and let you know. I think he might have been planning to make it a commercial package on www.nwdanet.com, but even if so as you can see the prices are fairly cheap.

- Oshyan

acolyte

Right. Thanks Oshyan. I guess, for now, we play the waiting game.... :-\