image challenge

Started by moodflow, February 13, 2007, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Hey all,

I wanted to pose a challenge for us all, and see what we could come up with, using a base image and a few rules.  Hopefully this will generate some creativity and some new ideas.   

The image base render and .tgd file are attached.

The rules are pretty much:
1.  Camera position, zoom, and FOV must not be changed.  Otherwise it would be hard to compare images.
2.  Sun position cannot be changed (changing other sun aspects is OK)
3.  The base terrain cannot be changed (though modifying it with additional nodes is allowed, as well as adding more terrain if needed)
4.  No post processing allowed, including cropping.    The 4:3 ratio must be maintained.  Using 3rd party to save as jpeg or other web-friendly format is allowed.
5.  No restrictions on sky, clouds, water, additional lights/suns, objects, additional terrains, foliage, surfaces, colors, etc.   It can be rendered at any size, just keep that 4:3 ratio.  Obviously, higher res renders will likely look better. 

Be sure to post what you've made!  No time limits of course.  I know it can take a while for TG2 to render.  Just post it when you can.  No obligations of course!  (sounds like a sales pitch!)

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

and whats the prize???....lol...just joking.... :D
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

MeltingIce

Quote from: moodflow on February 13, 2007, 03:22:54 PM
3.  The base terrain cannot be changed (though modifying it with additional nodes is allowed, as well as adding more terrain if needed)
This might be kinda hard if you can't move the camera since a lot of terrain modifications drastically alter the terrain and you may find the camera under the terrain.  This is a good idea though, it will force users to think about atmosphere and lighting more, while the other contest will make users learn more about terrain modification.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

moodflow

Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 13, 2007, 03:34:32 PM

Well, I'll give one million millionths of a dollar to the winner at the rate of one  millionth of a dollar per day for a million years.   :o

;D

Well - make that one three hundred sixty fifth of a millionth of a dollar per day.

MeltingIce

Quote from: moodflow on February 13, 2007, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 13, 2007, 03:34:32 PM

Well, I'll give one million millionths of a dollar to the winner at the rate of one millionth of a dollar per day for a million years.   :o

;D
Holy crap thats a lot of millions... I'M IN

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

moodflow

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 13, 2007, 03:35:35 PM
Quote from: moodflow on February 13, 2007, 03:22:54 PM
This might be kinda hard if you can't move the camera since a lot of terrain modifications drastically alter the terrain and you may find the camera under the terrain.  This is a good idea though, it will force users to think about atmosphere and lighting more, while the other contest will make users learn more about terrain modification.

Exactly, and hopefully should get the wheels turning on how to modify that.  Or even use a clamp function to knock it down.  Mainly just doing it for fun, but now I think I won't be able to sleep for weeks due to the different configurations that can be done, (or mainly the fact that there are professional bongo players living next door, practicing every night for hours - and I am serious about that part, LOL!)   :D

dhavalmistry

stevehmeyer

dhavalmistry

ok here it is...just a preview....work in progress

Will

Excellent, not sure quite what biom type your going for but I love the terrian, the water could be more tropical if that is the setting.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

dhavalmistry

well he asked not to move the camera..... :-\

and tropical water....meaning?

YAY!!!...my 100th post :)

Will

The scene reminds me of a spot in Tortola and the town is jsut below and there is turquost water. I was just saying I'm not sure (from the quick render) that I couldn't tell what setting you are after (like arctic, tropical,ect).

Regards,

WIll

dhavalmistry

I dont have much options with water rite now do I??...

and I am trying to make thick snow....but its not working  :-\

Will

well have you tried the embossed snow node in the shared files fourm? it might help ( not sure if allowed though)

and true water is tough to work with now.

Regards,
Will

dhavalmistry

ya I saw embossed snow topic the other day and its rather complex....