Transpiration

Started by Zylot, November 04, 2009, 09:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylot

First Pass of an "above the trees" shot. (A standard variation of the ever popular "above the clouds"?)  For those not savy, transpiration is the act of water vapor leaving plant life and returning to the atmosphere.

I need some distribution on the stones, and better textures/grass going on.  More variation of trees and color correction on the different variations also in the works.

Kevin F

Nice idea and POV, I agree with your comments re texture and grass. How about some larger boulder size stones as well?

Henry Blewer

Well done water vapor. Looks convincing.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Gannaingh

I like the concept.  I agree with the suggestions already put forth, I also think it would benefit from increased quality settings.

Zylot

Yes, working on current suggestions and fixes.  I knew I forgot something though, settings:

All Atmo (couds, main atmo): Ray Traced, 64 samples across the board.
Models: Medium (for now)
Lighting: Soft Shadows enabled
Render: Details .8, AA 4, GI 2/2

littlecannon

Cool... I saw this happening on a Discovery show the other day. I agree with previous comments. Some small bushes in between the trees may look god too.

Cheers,
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Oshyan

Is there a specific reason you have raytraced shadows (I assume that's what you meant by "Ray Traced") on for the atmosphere and/or clouds?

- Oshyan

Zylot

Yeah, there's an unseen layer of clouds above the camera casting shadows, and I want them to look good... there's also alot of mist so I want any shadows to hit and pass through them proper...   this is all if my understanding of what the ray traced shadows option does! ;)

Edit: while we're at it...  updated:

Should see a number of the fixes I planned, and some suggestions thrown into the mix.

Henry Blewer

The clouds above the camera will cast shadows without the raytraced option. The clouds in the trees might benefit, but I think that maybe it's not necessary. I just adds to longer render time. I like that the grass is more visible in the new render.

Oshyan

Njeneb is correct. Most likely neither option will make a big difference here. You should try some crop renders with different settings though.

- Oshyan

Zylot

Well, the way I look at it, If I can hit "render" and come back to a finished image the next day, I'm not too worried about mostly unneeded  effects if they do help somewhat.  Since this still falls in that threshold, it's alright, but I'll keep it in mind for future renders.

In the meanwhile, I may call this final, as it's looking good.  Tweaked the contrast a bit and added color variation to the populations as explained by TU I believe.

Henry Blewer

Looks very good. Well done.