Request

Started by MGebhart, November 10, 2009, 05:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

I was wondering if this suggestion would be possible in the next release or so.

It seems to me if Terragen 2 had an additional select different view that would be a Top-down view with a color coded elevation map. This would be ideal for camera positioning if you know the highest and lowest points within the terrain. I know you get this information with the location of the mouse pointer however, a visual reference would be helpful.

I'm sure this would be a rather taxing coding issue.

See example.

Thanks,

Marc  
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

It would be nice just to have an elevation color image. The POV would not matter, tht can be chosen or rotated to now.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

Top down and separate floating views already exist, so mostly what you need is just "shade by height". You can accomplish this for heightfield terrains by going to the Heightfield Shader node on the Colour tab and turning on Apply Colour and Shade, then check Shade by Height (turn off Shade by Light unless you want both). It will only show up in the main view if you don't have other shaders applying to the terrain after the Heightfield Shader, but you can simply temporarily disable other colour-providing shaders to accomplish this if desired. Admittedly this isn't the most seamless solution, but it's available now. :D

- Oshyan

MGebhart

Very cool. I'll give it a try. The more I know the more fun it is.

Thank you,

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

Thanks Oshyan. I never thought to do this. :-[
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

oh yes, shade by height !
or you can use a distance shader with an orthographic view from above.

MGebhart

Oshyan,

Your suggestion works fine. Perhaps down the development road the color elevation concept would be cool.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc Gebhart