To Share or not to Share (Was: Hells Bend: a render with shapes done with function nodes)

Started by groverwa, February 06, 2007, 08:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DGuy

I think that when downloading a tgd file as an example, people should keep in mind that it's just one way to do it, not nesceseraly the way. Because TG is so powerfull and versatile (mainbe because of the nodes) there's a plethora of ways to achieve most looks/effects.

I've shared quite a few tgd's, but they're not full scenes. They're more tech examples of how things can be done. I tinker alot ;) When tinkering, there's one important thing to remember... change one and only one thing at a time and see how that effects things. I usually see people making lots of changes and then see what the result is. They might end up with a cool scene, but no idea on how they got there.

Will

you have a good point there, there is also just sharing CLip files to get desired effects, I think that could be useful. Also I'm so glad to have plethora as part of my vocabulary now.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Cyber-Angel

Tangeled-Universe,

Let me try and explain that line that has got you confused.

What I was referring to was that a social system such as a civilization requires progress to move forward other wise it risks stagnation and eventual collapse. In evolutionary terms then if a species moves to slowly in its evolutionary path then it will be passed by another species and become extinct, the converse is also true if that species moves faster in its evolutionary progress then every thing around it, it also risks extinction.

I hope that clears things up.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

buzzzzz

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 07, 2007, 06:02:24 PM
Quote from: old_blaggard on February 07, 2007, 05:40:29 PM
In answer to your question, the NDA is strict enough that we can't even go into much detail as to what it's about, so... take from that what you will :D.

Haha, well...don´t be surprised from now on when people like me are asking things which are being restricted by the NDA. This is such a vague description but I´ll try to take from it whatever I can :)
Stubborn as I am: I still can´t believe the NDA restricts the alpha-testers from telling how to use certain shaders for example. Oshyan also had to sign the NDA and he´s giving lots of information, so why can´t you alpha-testers? But in regard to your post it seems you guys can´t explain us.
I´m sorry, I just don´t understand  ???

Martin, You have been around the Terragen Community as long as I, so I think we both know why certain people won't share knowledge.  Although some will be generous with terrains.

Tangled-Universe

Yes Jay, you're right.
I guess it's also a difference in mentality.

Well, all been said I think it's all clear enough for me. Thank you all for discussing/explaining. So if it's up to me this case is closed :)

Let's get on with tinkering  ;D

Martin

Inscrutable

Whoa, this discussion seems to have wandered a little off topic, so I'll try to bring it back round:

Really nice picture - can I have the .tgd? (ONLY KIDDING!!!)

Just wanted to say, thanks for sharing what I think is a really inspiring picture.  I think that you can take the fact that it has triggered such an energetic discussion into how it was created as evidence of its "fantastic-ness"!

inkydigit

I like Old_Blaggard am an alpha tester(mac)...but I dont have a clue as to how all of the shaders or any of the functions work!....so I am in the dark as much as anyone, I have also found that, for me at least downloading someone elses tgd(or tgw for tg0.9) does not always make things any clearer...sometimes I have learnt more by playing with settings myself, that being said a functions/shaders description list would be immensely helpful, as would some nice presets to play with!!....anyhow, I will continue to try to get my head around this powerful app!
any tips/tricks will still be greatly appreciated!
have fun
inky
:)

Tangled-Universe

Yes, a list of function/shader decriptions would indeed be of tremendous value.
Planetside planned to release preset-files at the end of december last year, but due to busy times and the holidays it's been delayed.
Last week Oshyan told me they will be available within a couple of weeks; together with an update and "additional objects"...whatever that might be :)
So I expect them to be somewhere in march, beginning of april.
Well, now we'll sit and wait (Heineken ad  ;D)
Time enough to play...

Martin

p.s. Well, no time enough...way too short on time ghehe ;D

old_blaggard

As part of the final documentation, each and every parameter of each and every node will be detailed.  Poor Oshyan... :P.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

BPauba

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 08, 2007, 12:00:56 PM
As part of the final documentation, each and every parameter of each and every node will be detailed.  Poor Oshyan... :P.

chyeah, that is gunna be one hell of a job. Good discussion guys :D

RedSquare

Well what an interesting discussion, for which I thank one and all.  Much I didn't agree with, some were typically academic and as such rarely practical.  Much touched on practicality but tended to deride history, by that I imply experience as a bases for ongoing development.  Ignore history and you end up reinventing the wheel. Absolutely nothing wrong or improper in diagnosing .tgd's if that action results in closing the loop. Ugh! don't you just hate some modern cliques. If one is given the opportunity to investigate the result of someone else's labour, on your own route, towards self awareness, this is not necessarily plagiarism but rather as has been mentioned, development of the individual at their own rate and to their own individual ends.  Collectively we all learn, we all gain.  Each necessarily to their own perceptions, each due to their individual creativity, each to their individual talent. Errrrg! the beast has crashed yet again. I must stop my ramblings.  Nice to see a mature community having vented its various spleens, subsiding back to practical, common help and assistance all within one thread and without a flame war.  Well done lads and lasses, all power to your renders.   ;D   Grrrrrrrrrr! I'm back to say briefly, give Frank a break he's developing a preset for all of us eventually to use if the powers that be like what they see.  If he's been commissioned to do that, then be patient and hope he is successful.   :-*

rcallicotte

I can't wait.

:o

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

RealUser

Quote from: calico on February 09, 2007, 03:33:38 PM
I can't wait.

:o

Patience Dude! ;-)
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser