Unwanted horizontal lines

Started by Fascin8, November 11, 2009, 10:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fascin8

Hello,
On some of the images I am rendering I get unwanted horizontal lines. Does anyone have an idea how they get there? I would like to understand it, so I can prevent them from being there. Thanks!
Example is attached.

Oshyan

Make sure Microvertex Jittering and Detail Jittering are enabled in the Render Settings Extra tab and retry. If they were already enabled, perhaps sharing a TGD would help us to further diagnose it.

- Oshyan

Fascin8

Thanks for your reply. I don't seem to have the setting you are referring to (no extra tab). I am trying out Terragen Classic on a Mac, so is it possible that this setting is only available in Terragen 2?

TheBlackHole

Uhhh... this is Terragen Classic... there's no Render Settings "Extra" tab here. Yes, Fascin8, that feature is only available in TG2. @Oshyan, as this is Terragen Classic, Fascin8 can't share a TGD, although he CAN share a .zipped TGW and TER though...
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Oshyan

Yeah, sorry, I just mostly assume it's TG2 on this forum since we don't get a lot of Classic users. ;)

Anyway, try Extra Blended Detail in the render settings. There also may be something extreme set in the water settings which is throwing it off. Open a default scene and check the settings there on water then try copying them and see if you can find something that affects it.

- Oshyan

Fascin8

Thanks for your replies. As you probably noticed I am a newbie with Terragen (reading the forum for a long time though), I am trying to make some 'simple' seascapes. The Classic version seems a bit less complicated to me to start learning, that's why I am not working with TG2. Or do you think it is better to start with TG2 immediately and skip Classic?
I changed the water values, and I started a new rendering, I will let you know how the results are.

inkydigit

I have tg classc on my macs at home if you need help with the tgw, I can help...
cheers
:)

Oshyan

TG2 and TG Classic are very different. TG2 is definitely more complex, but if you're hoping to learn some of TG Classic and then "translate" that knowledge to TG2 or use it as a "springboard" of sorts, it probably won't really work that way, and in that case it would be better just to start with TG2 I think.

- Oshyan

Fascin8

Guess I have to take the leap then. I just bought TG2, and I am looking forward learning it!

Henry Blewer

The shaders window on the left top of the screen works very similar to the Terragen 0.9. It's better, easier to use. Keeo an eye on the node network window below the preview window. As you add things, this will update. Different Tabs have different node groups. You'll see how things connect to each other.
The nodes can be ignored until you are ready. It's very easy to make very good landscapes with just the Tree window.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

Quote from: Fascin8 on November 13, 2009, 04:29:24 AM
Guess I have to take the leap then. I just bought TG2, and I am looking forward learning it!

Wonderful! Let us know if you have any questions. :) And be sure to read the various help resources here in the forums and on our website.

- Oshyan