Any API's or SDK's (interface) for Terragen Software??

Started by prasad5787, November 14, 2009, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prasad5787

I am a student doing a research project on terrain generation.

I would like to be able to control Terragen programmatically.

Is there an API, SDK or commandline interface that I could write programs or scripts for?

For example, could I update settings such as water level through code rather than setting this manually.

Also are there files that I could process programmatically to allow me to control what Terragen produces.

Henry Blewer

If you look at the tgd file, you'll see it's a script. It should be possible to write a program which could read and write a script that T2 would understand. I have thought Python would be a good choice for this. I have not attempted this yet.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

No SDK or API is currently available. However, as njeneb said, the TGD file format is human-readable XML and can easily be changed programatically. You can use this to do very powerful things if you have stand-alone coding knowledge and can make simple scripting applications.

- Oshyan

prasad5787

Thanks alot for your info. I find out that tgd file is in the form of some XML format which is good for me to use it programatically to my requirements.
But I am wondering is there any chance for the basic terragen software files can be edited or readable like tgd file (that are from Terragen 2)??
Thanks in advance!!

Oshyan

Once again I am caught out by not paying attention to the section in which a post was made. Sorry about that!

The TGW format is a bit more cryptic and difficult to manually edit. There is no API, SDK, or other official way to do this. However if the subject interests you, I suggest you take a look at TerraTweak:
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/stevage/tt/
That's as close as you're likely to get.

- Oshyan

prasad5787

Thanks, "Oshyan" and "njeneb", for your helpfull info guys i started my work.
I see you around.

regards,
Prasad Gade