Q: Reflecting mountain in water

Started by Sp34k, November 19, 2009, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sp34k

Greetings

I have seen alot of beautiful renders where the mountain is reflected in the water so clear and smooth.. I have tried serval settings to get the same effect but fails... (again)
I just tried to make a fast terrain and see if I could accomplish that specific effect but without success, all I see is my clouds, not so interesting ;)
I also tried to do it from different angles but again, without success..

Is there any specific setting I should use? I tried to adjust all the settings under "Reflection", but I can't catch that mountain!
A good example would be JimB's delicious picture in this threat: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8030.0

Cheers :)

Learning history and science, wait,
Knowing that, will that put food on my plate?
Yeah, can I walk into McDonald's, into the counter,
And tell them you can make limestone from gunpowder,
Will they give me a cheeseburger if I know that shit?

dandelO

Try and make the scales of your water shader not too extreme. It's probably that the smallest scale is too small and the roughness too high.

You can also increase the index of refraction in the reflections tab to make it shinier if the scales are fine.

Oshyan

It would be helpful if you could post an image of your current scene so we can see better what may be causing the problem.

- Oshyan

JimB

I made the wave roughness pretty low, and decreased wind patch size. That's all IIRC.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

jritchie777

I don't know if this helps but I found working the other way is easier.  I set my water to a mirror image first then slowly adjust things until I get the scene I want.  To get a perfect mirror, drop all values on the waves tab in the Water shader down to zero.
Set index of refraction to about 2.4 I find gives me a nice mirror, you can go even higher if you want but then the water will start looking like a metal surface.

Hope this helps!
JR