Is it possible ... ?

Started by kees, November 23, 2009, 02:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kees

Hi I'm new here.

Is it possible to reproduce this precisely in terragen2? (zie attachment)
I want to make everything to the right place.
How can I do this best way, painted shader?

domdib

It should be possible, with a lot of care and attention. Painted shaders would probably help. Do you have models for the buildings? Particular species in mind for the vegetation? Perhaps the best person to ask for hints about this might be Dune, as he often creates scenes with vegetation and buildings.

kees

I only need the terrain than I export it to 3ds max.

Henry Blewer

I am not sure exactly how to do this, but it is possible. I think I would try using masks and/or gradients for the height data. I also think the entire course with the surrounding landscape would be possible. That much data exported to a different 3D app would be huge.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi Kees,

What are you trying to do exactly? If you just want to model the terrain there may be other tools which are better suited to the task. If you want to model the terrain and then render it in TG2, then there may still be better tools for modelling the terrain which you can then import into TG2 for the rendering.

You could potentially do it with the painted shader, but if you have a plan of it already then it might be just as easy to paint it in 16 bit greyscale in Photoshop for example.

Regards,

Jo

kees

That much data exported to a different 3D app would be huge.
- A whole planet does not happen but one piece heighfield can easily import in max.

The goal is to make the landscape in terragen2 and then export to 3ds max.
Here I have plants,trees (mr proxies) houses and final render.
I know that you can put trees in Terragen but i know 3ds max a lot better.
You can Paint in photoshop but you do not really see what you do.
Are there other ways to sculpting the terrain then the painted shader ? Just a brush in viewport ?
I've also Mudbox but that is more for details painten.

If you just want to model the terrain there may be other tools which are better suited to the task. If you want to model the terrain and then render it in TG2, then there may still be better tools for modelling the terrain which you can then import into TG2 for the rendering.
- Other tools, you mean to model it in 3ds max or mudbox? I thought terragen was good for make terrains?

jo

Hi Kees,

Quote from: kees on November 24, 2009, 01:40:13 AM
Are there other ways to sculpting the terrain then the painted shader ? Just a brush in viewport ?

The painted shader is the only way really. It's a bit buggy right now and I would suggest that you shouldn't try to everything in a single paint shader, instead break it up into several. Frankly there is still the chance you could lose your work though, even if it saved correctly.

- Other tools, you mean to model it in 3ds max or mudbox? I thought terragen was good for make terrains?

I had in mind a heightfield editor like Daylon Leveller or GeoControl. Terragen is not very good as heightfield editor. It is pretty good at procedural terrains but its built in editing tools are currently very limited. If you are primarily interested in creating your terrain specifically to match your drawing and then exporting it for rendering in something else other then TG2 is not the best tool to be using right now.

Regards,

Jo

kees

Hello jo,

I will try GeoControl2.

Thanks for the help.

Oshyan

Geocontrol isn't actually the best (IMO) for creating explicit, large-scale terrain features. It's also a bit pricey. If you need free, Wilbur is a surprisingly good option. For more money, take a look at Leveller. World Machine and L3DT are other options, no worse than Geocontrol for your needs, but probably not as good as more "painterly" editors like Wilbur and Leveller.

- Oshyan

kees

I've tested geocontrol2 and it is fun to work.
Perhaps others have more paint control but for that I use Autodesk Mudbox.
There are many programs that make terrain each with advantages and disadvantages.
Leveller looks nice but I go for Geocontrol2 because it is so easy and fun to work. (+ good help/tutorials)

Thanks

Tangled-Universe

Don't forget to show us the results Kees ;)

Martin