How do I render a height map?

Started by blizzo, February 14, 2007, 06:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzo

Is there a shader in place to render out a height map in the orthographic view?  Currently I can only render something like this:

blizzo

I need something more like this one...I generated a normal map and extracted it through crazy bump...but it is far from perfect.

Will

hmm, well it could be done in Terragen 2 I guess but it would be a lot easyer for you in terragen .9.43

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

blizzo

Yeah I need to do it in T2 since I am generating my terrain with shaders and also have custom image shaders for roads and a river

Will

oh, um could you post a .tgd along with what ever files your using I'm not exactly sure what you need.

regards,

Will

groverwa

Gday

If you use World Machine you should be able to generate a ter file that looks like what you want. The billowy noise type may be the one.

If you want to use a pic as a bump map via a file input and a combiner then you will end up with a very spiky terrain and maybe not what you want

As Will says it will help if you can zip up all the files and post them here

Mike

Will

I think he wants to use the shadre he has.

regards,

Will

blizzo

Yeah I need to use the shader I set up with the images...which are gigantic or I would post my scene.

Oshyan

If you just want to get a heightfield out of TG2 simply right-click a heightfield node and Save As. It will export as Terragen .ter format which is readible by a wide variety of apps and convertable into a plain Tiff image by TerraConv. If you are not using heightfield nodes to make your terrain then use a Heightfield From Shader node connected to the last terrain node in your Terrain group and then right-click that and Save As. If that doesn't help then perhaps you can share some more specifics of your intended use and current setup.

- Oshyan

blizzo

Thanks Oshyan...TConv did the trick with the height to shader export.