Vista upgrade...

Started by Dark Fire, February 15, 2007, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DGuy

Indeed no benefits, but it will help if you need large amounts of memory ;) But 64bit is slowly comming. HL2 has a 64 bit version for instance :P Gonna try several games when I've got it installed to see if and what the performance hit really is.

Dark Fire

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 15, 2007, 04:11:32 PM
You'd be better off sticking with Windows XP for awhile.  Wait on Vista.  Not a whole lot of applications are really 64-bit yet.  Also, Vista 64-bit does not allow any unsigned drivers at all.  So if one of your computers drivers does not meet the requirements set forth by Microsoft, you're up a creek.  Vista 32-bit currently does not have this issue.

Read this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060201-6098.html
I knew that but, as I explained earlier, I am sure the 64-bit version of Vista is compatible with my computer. My internal and external devices are fairly recent and were made by the largest companies out there, and I have checked for 64-bit drivers for everything.

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 15, 2007, 04:16:16 PM
That doesn't mean you need 64bit applications perse. 32bit applications should run normally. I'm going to install Vista64 this weekend on my comp just to see how it faires (the advantages of having an MSDN subscription ;))
3DGuy has the right idea - I'm not looking to buy a 64-bit version Vista because EVERYTHING on my computer is suddenly going to switch from 32-bit to 64-bit. I've just reached the stage where that fact that the OS I'm running is 32-bit is beginning to hold me back, and I need to move on.

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 15, 2007, 04:21:30 PM
Quote from: 3DGuy on February 15, 2007, 04:16:16 PM
That doesn't mean you need 64bit applications perse. 32bit applications should run normally. I'm going to install Vista64 this weekend on my comp just to see how it faires (the advantages of having an MSDN subscription ;))
Yea but there will be no benefits to running 32-bit applications in a 64-bit OS.  In fact, 32-bit programs have to be emulated in a sense if I'm not mistaken.  When I switched from Windows XP 64-bit back to 32-bit Windows XP, I actually got a frame rate increase in games because none of them were 64-bit games.
Yes, 32-bit programs are emulated in 64-bit operating systems, but a growing number programs that use a lot of resources come in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I'm willing to sacrifice a few frames per second in games if I can future-proof my computer, run 64-bit applications and upgrade my RAM beyond 4GB.

Anyway...Now we have established that the full versions of Vista can do just about anything and the OEM versions cannot be moved to a new computer, but does anyone know anything more about the upgrade versions of Vista?

Dark Fire

The lack of knowledge about the upgrade version makes me uneasy. I don't think there is anyone outside Microsoft who understands exactly what you can and can't do with an upgrade disc...

That means more money for them and less money for T2TP... :'(