Hope this won't sound too silly

Started by Ploatic, December 16, 2009, 03:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ploatic

Hi everyone, I've been using past versions of Terragen for a bit more than a year now. And although its still great, just like anyone, I want to experiment more. I got terragen 2, the free edition, but already feel like its a big gap, I feel like there are a lot of settings I'm not familiar with and I feel a little confused when trying it out.

So I decided to go to 0.9 first, but, for some odd reason, can't get it anywhere for the mac. I've tried places, even planetside, and when I download it for the mac, it...can't open. I'll try on my pc after, but it would obviously be nice to have it on the mac too.
And does this version come with animation? Because I know Terragen 2 doesn't, so when I get used to it, I'll purchase it to get the animation.

Thank you
-P

rcallicotte

Doesn't sound silly.  I recommend going for the beginner tutorials for TG2 and use the Wiki.  Ask questions.  Many people in the TG2 forums are helpful.  Use the File Library to see how others did various things and learn from that.  Ask questions of the people who uploaded their work.

Good luck.  TG2 is just so much fun.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBlackHole

Terragen Classic comes with animation. You can't animate from within TG1 but there are a number of plugins and apps that can do it for you.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Ploatic

Hey thanks guys I appreciate it, I definitely will be posting around here to learn more about Terragen.
But I now have one more question, like I said, I'm familiar with Terragen already, but I've never done animations, therefore, I wouldn't know where to start exactly. What else should I start with when using Terragen for the animations? I wouldn't mind starting off with something simple, just as long as I start it, plus I need to find an 0.9 that'll actually work haha

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Matt

Terragen Classic on the Mac comes in a .sit file. You may need to download StuffIt Expander to open it. I think it's available to download for free from Apple's website. Unfortunately I don't know of any good tools you can use to animate Terragen Classic on the Mac, but you might be able to find pre-made Terragen Script (.tgs) files that other people have made and figure out how to hand-script your own animations.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Ploatic

Ah great, you guys are helpful thank you, I'm trying out these different options right now.
Thanks again ;)