The New Born Planet

Started by Will, February 15, 2007, 08:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hey everyone, This was a test to play around with the defualt shader and to see if I can get a lava like surface that I plan to use in the challenge. Any C&C is welcome hope you guys like it if I ever get some more time to play with it I hope to add an impact crater and a ring, maybe a half formed moon as well.

Regards.

Will

EDIT: fixed some of my terrible spelling.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Dark Fire

Oh, wow! Good idea! I might try making a newly formed planet soon too - it's a great way to experiment with new stuff!

Will

its pretty easy, all this is is a power fractal connected to a defualt shader with organfe lunosity which has anouther power fractal connected to the luminosity input.

regards,

Wll

Dark Fire

Aah, but Lava isn't that simple...

Will

yea I know, but at least the coloring can be done this way the geometry will have to be done with somthing else, I'm thicking a water shader that is connected to a twist and shier shader then connected to the defualt shader with the fracti l node in for the luninosity, then have it connected to a lake object or somthing. But this will probuobly end up failing but thats what I lvoe about expermenting!

regards,

Will

old_blaggard

You could also try adding variation to the lava color, such as adding yellows and whites, and maybe lighting up the planet a bit more.  I think this is a great idea, and you're off to a good start.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

Yea I've been playing arond with that, it came out ok but still needed some tweaking so I didn't post the render. Anyway I though you guys might want to play with it a little so you could explore any and all idea you come up with. I'm currently stuck with the un registered version so the qualty of my shot is low but I'm sure you guy could get better if you wanted.

Regards,

Will

notice that I can't even name files with proper spelling....

Cyber-Angel

Just to note that a planet at this stage in its development stage is called a Protoplanet : see this Wikipedia Article for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoplanet

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

You don't need to use the "Lake" object to get water. In this case since you want it to cover your entire planet I'd just use a Water Shader or Reflective Shader. I'd also increase the luminosity as it currently seems a bit dull. Great pattern though and otherwise looking good.

- Oshyan

Will

Thanks Oshyan, for the lake I was acualy talking about using it on a much smaller scene for the image challenge. This just has a power fractle which is connected to a defualt shader with anouther powerfratle in the lumanosity input.

oh and did you guys know you could put in a negitive diffuse color? has some weird effects.

Regards,

Will

Will

OK here is a small update, still a ton of tweaking to do but just a quick mock-up that I think looks OK.

Regards,

Will

Dark Fire

That's a very wierdly shaped ring thing...

dhavalmistry

I think the rocks are not enough....NEED MORE!!! :)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

more, hmm ok well I do want it to be fairly realistic Cyber-Angel what do you know on early-stage Protoplanetary rings? You (as always) seem to know somthing on the topic)

Regards,

Will

RealUser

Will, that looks realy promising! That planet woul look great in a space scene with some new born stars and nebulas around it. Kind of the horse nebula (don't know the exact name). Lovely fractal patterns!
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser