when do i get my sky back?

Started by Rich, February 15, 2007, 08:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

this has probably been mentioned before but when i installed vista my sky is now blcoky and never more than half there. Is there some easy fix i'm overlooking or is it the programs compatibility with vista?

-Rich

Will

do you mean in the render or just in the preview window?

regards,
Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Rich

just the preview window...it updates, but half not there...if this problem has not been encountered yet ill gladly post a screencap

Will

Well I know there are some porblums with vista but I get this a lot as well I know it has a fix, at least for XP. I know its some where in the support section I'll go look for you.

regards,

Will

Will

heres one: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=117.0

I'll keep looking and edit this post if I find anything new.

regards,

Will

rcallicotte

Vista has been noted of late to have problems with video drivers.  Perhaps the video driver needs updated by the video card company for Vista...or Vista just needs to correct its DirectX 10 problems.

Quote from: Rich on February 15, 2007, 08:19:11 PM
just the preview window...it updates, but half not there...if this problem has not been encountered yet ill gladly post a screencap
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

This is probably an OpenGL driver issue. I would think the only fix would be an update to your graphics drivers, although with Vista as new as it is none may yet be available. I imagine OpenGL support is still a bit spotty on Vista so you can probably expect this to improve. We will also be officially supporting Vista at a later time and will ensure that problems like this are minimized. For now Vista is not an officially supported platform however.

- Oshyan

Rich

MeltingIce

Well Vista will be dropping software OpenGL support soon I believe.  I'm assuming TG2 uses hardware OpenGL though for the preview render right?

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Oshyan

In general apps use whatever OpenGL system is available to them. That's up to the OS and graphics drivers to decide. As far as I know Vista *already* dropped software OGL, but it was so seldom used in XP anyway (and when it was used performance was horrible) that it's no big loss. People have made a big deal over nothing with that, really, with many people claiming Vista wouldn't "allow" OGL or would somehow have OGL calls going through DX10, making it slower. None of that is true. :P As with XP it's up to the graphics card driver to provide a proper OGL-supporting driver, which does go through an abstraction layer in the driver itself just like DX does where it is translated into "graphics card speak" and then sent to the card for execution. Anyway I'm figuring the newness of Vista and driver support for it would be the reason for poor OGL stability/consistency. Not at all a surprise really.

- Oshyan

3DGuy

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 16, 2007, 01:49:13 AM
Well Vista will be dropping software OpenGL support soon I believe.  I'm assuming TG2 uses hardware OpenGL though for the preview render right?
It's the videocard driver that makes openGL available, not microsoft.

edlo

I am using Vista for a week now and one of the first things I installed was TG2, It works perfect and I have not had any issues like the one you mention, even the unexplained crashes of TG2 have gone considerably down in Vista.
Have you downloaded your graphics card latest driver for vista?

3DGuy

Quote from: Oshyan on February 16, 2007, 02:08:17 AM
As far as I know Vista *already* dropped software OGL, but it was so seldom used in XP anyway (and when it was used performance was horrible) that it's no big loss.

Games that use the Quake3 and Quake4 engine run on OGL and their performance is far from horrible.

Oshyan

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 17, 2007, 10:52:17 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on February 16, 2007, 02:08:17 AM
As far as I know Vista *already* dropped software OGL, but it was so seldom used in XP anyway (and when it was used performance was horrible) that it's no big loss.

Games that use the Quake3 and Quake4 engine run on OGL and their performance is far from horrible.

Yes but they don't use *software* OpenGL. ;) You're running them with the *hardware* OGL driver for your graphics card. If you weren't performance would literally be unusable - less than 1FPS.

- Oshyan

3DGuy

If you put it that way, then doing software directx is also horrible slow to unusable ;)