Function Nodes

Started by efflux, December 22, 2006, 02:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

We could do with some more info about function nodes and their use.

Mark-S

Oshyan

The documentation actually does not include information about the Function Nodes, and it's not likely to for some time. The Function Nodes are really designed for people who already understand what they each do (from the name of the node) and who know how to construct shaders from these kinds of components. Normal users should generally avoid dealing with the Function Nodes unless you are aware of a specific technique that involves using them.

Eventually they will be fully covered in the Node Reference, but this will take some time.

- Oshyan

nikita

And I guess it's more important to cover all the other nodes and their meaningful inputs names like "Input"  ;D

efflux

The reason I ask this is because I come from using Mojoworld so I do have some experience working with nodes to create specific effects. I've actually learnt everything else in TG pretty quickly. I want to get right into the guts of TG if possible to experiment further than just the shaders. I posted a message under the Fake Stones thread because someone there mentioned accessing the internal network of fake stones. I can't do this. I see nothing in the internal network. I am still using the free version.

Oshyan

Not all nodes have internal networks. We'll probably be making a more solid definition of when internal networks will be present so that this is more clear and intuitive. The Fake Stones node does not have an internal network as far as I am aware. Someone may just be confusing their terminology. You can access the Fake Stones shader and distribution inputs from its external input hooks.

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Bump  ;D

It would be cool if someone could start a thread defining working out what each function realy dose.

Richard Fraser
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

old_blaggard

That will be done with the final documentation.  In the meantime, though, they really only perform mathematical functions such as adding, multiplying, powering, etc.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.