Sand?

Started by Mammoth, February 17, 2007, 12:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mammoth

How do you make realistic sand? I want to do some nice dunes, but plain yellow/beige hills are boring. I would like to know how to do it exclusively in TG2 and not with any external programs.  ???

dhavalmistry

search the forum....I remember having a topic on that...I'll post if I find it...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

moodflow

Here is a sample of a quick test I did, though it doesn't completely match the .tgd file any longer (I had the total reflection too high, and the specularity too low, but it still came out great).  I lowered the total reflectivity, upped the specularity, but it took almost the entire night to render so I quit.

I know the 'hills' don't match dunes the best, but it was more of a test to see if I could get a true sand look.  I'm still working on it.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Will

is that a texture? You could try a fake stone shader with a very hgih desnisty (like 10) and a veryvery small stone.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

It looks pretty snazzy, though.   8)

Quote from: moodflow on February 17, 2007, 01:08:43 AM
Here is a sample of a quick test I did, though it doesn't completely match the .tgd file any longer (I had the total reflection too high, and the specularity too low, but it still came out great).  I lowered the total reflectivity, upped the specularity, but it took almost the entire night to render so I quit.

I know the 'hills' don't match dunes the best, but it was more of a test to see if I could get a true sand look.  I'm still working on it.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dark Fire

Sand looks much better in T2TP than any attempts at a sandy texture in TG 0.9 did...

moodflow

Those are actually tiny stones (which is simply what sand is).  I agree on the TG2 vs 0.9 look.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music