Using an image shader to colour cluds

Started by groverwa, February 17, 2007, 02:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groverwa

Gday

Is it possible to use an image shader to help colour clouds?

I have used an image shader via a density fractal into a cumulus cloud formation and this seems to have altered the clouds but did not transfer the colours of the jpg onto the clouds as it does when using an image shader on the terrain

See attachments

Also this is a bit OT but to read about the power of cumulus clouds on the human body go to http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/to-heaven-and-back/2007/02/16/1171405446683.html - it tells off a very lucky paraglider involved in a storm on the east coast of Australia

Mike

buzzzzz

Hmmm? Good Question, I haven't tried it but my first guess that if it worked would be to project through camera. If that fails try a background , although I don't know what kind of quality you will get? Just a few thoughts.

Njen

I am almost certain that you are unable to affect the colour of the cloud by any fractal or image. It is because the colour value is a closed value. I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago asking for all settings that are float vales to be accessible by an input as it would solve many currently hard to do setups quite simply.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=598.msg5185#msg5185

groverwa

Gday

Thanks for your answers - it was worth a try

Mike

Oshyan

As you can see your image is connected to the *density shader* input, so it only affects density of the clouds. There is of course no "colour shader" input for clouds at this time so you can't do what you would like to do just yet. There should be a method to achieve this in the future, whether through a dedicated "Cloud colour" input or a generic ability to "drive" any setting with a shader (most ideal).

Do note though that even if you could get this to work using an image like that to color clouds wouldn't really look very realistic. You could achieve a better result simply by adjusting the built-in color controls or creating an atmosphere that lit the clouds in that way (heavy red decay for example).

- Oshyan

groverwa

Gday Oshyan

Thanks for the answer - wiil play further

Mike