Final solution to GI Flickering needed :)

Started by cyphyr, November 22, 2009, 06:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: cyphyr on November 24, 2009, 12:40:34 PM
Thanks guys, lots to figure out :)
I wanted to keep the same general look as in the first image but was unable to get it to work with the fill lights, at first.
The first image has a quite golden sun light but the fill light setup has blue or white lights. This caused the strange "under lighting" in the clouds. I eventually changed the fill light colour to the gold (one a little redder, one a little yellower) and this seems to have sorted the problem out.

NO MORE FLICKERS!!!

However I have had to get rid of my smallest 4 fake stones as they started flickering in the distance (Hmm a distance shader might have been better)

I'm rendering 300 exr's now and I'll post the anim when finished :)

cheers

Richard

Cyphyr,

Would you be willing to post a little tutorial on how to set up these fill lights, or point me to somewhere I can learn this setup.  I am in the process of creating an animation flying over some water, an island, and then ascending into the sky through a hole in some clouds I made using the painted shader.  I am seeing nice single frame test renders, but from past motion tests I saw a lot of flicker, primarily in the water.

I would appreciate any help.  Thanks.

-Derek Bentley
www.designbentley.com

buzzzzz1

Here's the link to the fill lights clip shared by Oshyan.  Just go to file-- insert clip file. You can change the lights colors if you choose.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=580.0
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Thanks!  The fill light setup works great (no more flickering).  I just finished a 900 frame cloud animation and it looked great!